Subject: IP destination address of PIM Join/Prune message

From: arindamc <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:41:28 +0530 (IST)

Hi,

  I am working on PIM-SMv2. The draft draft-ietf-pim-sm-v2-new-02.txt
  on page no.92 says that 
  "PIM messages are either unicast (e.g.  Registers and Register-Stop),
   or multicast with TTL 1 to the `ALL-PIM-ROUTERS' group (e.g. Join/Prune, 
   Asserts, etc.)"

  But on page no 34 it says,
  "Receive Join(*,*,RP)
          A Join(*,*,RP) is received on interface I with its IP
          destination set to the router's address on I."

  How is this possible ? The IP destination field of the PIM Join/Prune
  message must be set to the address "224.0.0.13"(ALL-PIM-ROUTERS).
  plz explain me what does it want to mean by that.

thanks in advance,

arindam C.

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 23:27:57 -0700

>  plz explain me what does it want to mean by that.

Thanks for pointing this out - this is an error.  I believe page 34
(and many places elsewhere) should say "...is received on interface I
with its Upstream Neighbor Address set to the router's address on I".

This will be fixed in the next release of the spec.

Cheers,
	Mark