Subject: RE: How to disable DR election on an interface ?

From: Chris Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 16:56:37 -0700

Which implementations actually reject joinprune messages from neighbors that
don't have hello status?

thanks

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Fenner [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2001 2:46 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: How to disable DR election on an interface ?

>    why not 
>    accept Join/Prune messages from a router that hasn't sent a Hello. 

Because there may be options in the Hello message that need to be
consistent (e.g. join/prune override time).  e.g. if you're the DR and
you hear a Join/Prune from a router with a higher IP address, do you
decide that he's the DR?  Why or why not?

What I'd really like is for the Hello messages to have neighbor lists
and ignore a neighbor until you get a Hello message with you in his
neighbor list, but that got shot down a long time ago.  It's much nicer
for debugging purposes for the peering to go down on both ends than to
have a mysteriously one-way peering.

  Bill

---

From: Tom Pusateri <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 19:25:36 -0700

Currently, Juniper ignores joins, prunes, grafts, graft acks,
bootstrap messages and asserts from neighbors it hasn't seen a hello from.

Tom

---

From: Rahul Bahadur <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 21:35:37 -0700 (PDT)

Nokia ignores joinprune messages from neighbors with no hello
status.

Rahul

---

From: Andrew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 07:43:19 -0400

Gated _accepts_ joinprune messages from neighbors that don't have hello 
status.

-Andy