Subject: graceful shutdown of BSR ?

From: "K.P.Ramamurthy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 12:16:38 +0530

Hi,
   in Section 3.2.  [Page 17] of "draft-ietf-pim-sm-bsr-00.txt"
I have a question pertaining to the following text :

" When an elected BSR is being shut down, it should immediately originate a
  Bootstrap message listing its current RP set, but with the BSR priority
  field set to the lowest priority value possible.  This will cause the
  election of a new BSR to happen more quickly."

Since the candidate BSR state machine does not process a NON-PREFERRED-BSM,
the BSR election will not happen any quicker !!. So if a elected BSR sends a
BSM
with very low priority when it is being shutdown, it will not help in
initiating
immediate BSR election ( before BS-TIMEOUT ) since this event is not handled
by
the candidate BSRs in any state ( C-BSR / P-BSR ), it seems to me that
lowering the
priority of an elected BSR will not result in re-election immediately.

   regards and thanks

 K.P.R.Murthy