Subject: How to disable DR election on an interface ?

From: "K.P.Ramamurthy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 15:17:04 +0530

Hi,
  Every PIM router is potentially capable of becoming a DR on any of the
multicast capable interfaces present in the router, since the router
participates
in the DR election implicitly on all interfaces. Is it mandatory that a PIM
router
MUST be *capable* of becoming the DR on any given interface if its
priority/address permits? is it possible to disable DR capabilities on any
interface ??
can this be achieved by NOT sending PIM-HELLO packets on the interface that
does
not desire DR capabilities ??.

  best regards and thanks
   Ramamurthy.K.P

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 08:30:17 -0700

>priority/address permits? is it possible to disable DR capabilities on any

I think that would most likely result in traffic being blackholed in
such a wide range of cases that I'd strongly advise against such a
configuration option.

 - Mark