Subject: multicast forwarding over PPPoE

From: Sivasubramanian Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 19:29:29 +0200

Hello

When several PPPoE hosts listen on the same group  then
it is required to duplicate the multicast packets since the PPP
session ID's are different. This means that the purpose of
multicast is not served over PPPoE.

If there is a mapping of group addresses to session-id's when
the PPP session is negotiated , similar to IP multicast group address
to MAC address mapping ,then we could have all the hosts having
the same session ID and avoid the duplication.

One possibility is during the PPPoE  Discovery
Stage the PADS packet from the AC  takes care of this and
assigns the proper session ID  based on the multicast group
which could be sent somehow!!! by the host in the PADR packet
as TAG .

Is this feasible ? Please comment.

Is there any other solution to avoid  duplicate multicast packets
in PPPoE ?

Krishnan