Subject: Graceful shutdown of BSR / C-RP ?

From: "K.P.Ramamurthy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 15:28:54 +0530

Hi ,
   when an interface goes down or changes IP address, a hello message with a
*ZERO* HOLDTIME is sent immediately, thus enabling the PIM neighbors on that
interface to remove this neighbor immediately,

             >         is such a thing possible when a Candidate-RP is being
shutdown, i.e. can the candidate-RP send a C-RP-ADV message with *ZERO* hold
time
to indicate its going down immediately to the BSR of the domain.

             >         on similar lines how can a Elected BSR which is being
shutdown indicate proactively before BS_TIMEOUT to the other candidate BSRs
of the
domain. Sending a BSM with very low priority will not achieve the desired
result,
any other means available ?

           best regards and thanks
         K.P.Ramamurthy

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 08:31:43 -0700

>any other means available ?

I think this is in the new version of the BSR spec (not yet released).
It may even have been in the last version - we discussed it in the
meeting at the last IETF.

 - Mark