Subject: Dr and Non -DR

From: "Jyotheeswara Rao Kurma" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 18:09:46 +0500

Hi :

 I need a small clarification. Consider the following scenario.

            |
            |---- DR ---------PIM-ROUTER---PIMROUTER------|    
    Host--- |                                             |-----RP
            |---- NON-DR------PIM-ROUTER------------------|
            |

Now , DR will send initial register packets to RP, but RP will send
(S,G) Joins towards NON-DR (assuming better path), and this NON-DR will
start forwarding ( S(Host),G) packets from Host. When happens to DR
there ? How long will it maintian (S,G) register state ? 

Who will take care of refreshing Rp's state by sending Null register 
messages ? Is it DR/NON-DR ? 

Thanks for any help,
Jyotheesh
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Every moment is a golden one for him who has the vision to recognize it 
as such. 
-- Henry Miller

---

From: Isidor Kouvelas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 10:44:52 -0700

>there ? How long will it maintian (S,G) register state ? 

When the packets arrive on the (S,G) SPT at the RP, the RP will
consider the SPT for the source established and will respond to
further registers with register-stop messages.
The DR will stop registering after it receives the register-stop
but since it still is directly connected to the source, it will maintain
(S,G) state as long as the source is active.

>messages ? Is it DR/NON-DR ? 

The DR will send the null-registers.

thanks
I

---

From: Rahul Bahadur <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 10:48:01 -0700 (PDT)

I believe the non-DR will just propagate the joinprune message with
the DR as the upstream neighbor towards the host. 

Rahul

---

From: Rahul Bahadur <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 14:13:54 -0700 (PDT)

oops, obviously not!  Need to drink more coffee before replying to email :).  
Apologies for the wasted bandwidth.

Rahul