Subject: [pim] BSR msg. - golbal scope

From: "Katta. Sambasiva Rao" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 09:22:38 +0530

hi,
When BSR is advertising non-admin scope zone group addresses in BSR message,
Is it necessary that it should include "global scope zone" (224.0.0.0/4) as 
first address in the (semantic fragment of) BSR message.

Making an assumption that no C-RP is acting as RP for entire "global scope
zone", Is it necessary to 
include "global scope" with Rp-count 0.

Of course it may be valid, but is it necessary?

Another doubt is, can we have admin scope zones in address range other that
239.xxxxx.

Please clarify my doubts.
Thanks in advance.

thanks,
Katta

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 07:05:00 -0800

>Of course it may be valid, but is it necessary?

No, it is not necessary.

>Another doubt is, can we have admin scope zones in address range other that

Yes - PIM itself doesn't care what the address range is.  However, for
IPv4, 239/8 is the only range currently reserved by IANA for admin
scope zones.  It's possible (though not currently likely) that this
may change at some stage in the future.

Cheers,
	Mark