Subject: RE: [pim] PIM-SM (*, *, RP)

From: "Sundeep Singatwaria" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 11:10:50 -0800

Mark, on behalf of how many vendors are you making comments.

*,*,RP capability is not supported by vendors who do not support
DVMRP. I'm not sure what role it plays in other protocols (MSDP, IPv6)

We have customers who use PIM-SM and DVMRP with (*,*,RP) capabilites.

As John rightly puts it

>I've never had a customer ask for it.

You cannot - if you run only PIM-SM.

Sundeep

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Handley [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2001 3:14 PM
To: John Zwiebel
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [pim] PIM-SM (*, *, RP) 

>Cisco, as well as a few other vendors, does not support
>the (*,*,G) capability.
>
>I've never had a customer ask for it.

(*,*,RP) isn't really needed in most current deployment scenarios -
currently MSDP is serving that role, although it's not a good
solution.

(*,*,RP) is needed for many future deployment scenarios.  We
considered removing it from the current spec, but didn't because we
wanted PIM-SM to be capable of use in environments such as BGMP (or
whatever else might come along).

My guess is you won't see any call for (*,*,RP) with IPv4, but you
definitely might with IPv6, as the decision was not to do MSDP for
v6.  So if you're doing an IPv6 PIM-SM implementation, I'd definitely
recommend implementing (*,*,RP).

But in practice, outside of Intranets, what really matters right now
for both v4 and v6 is SSM.

Cheers,
	Mark