Subject: [pim] PIM-SM Hello GenId

From: "Subrata Sa" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 04:46:04 -0800

Hi,

I'm testing Cisco IOS 12.2(5a) for PIM-SM 
(draft-ietf-pim-sm-v2-new-03) 
conformance. Every thing is working fine i.e. RPT/ SPT are being 
constructed 
and data is being forwarded as well. But it does not seem to understand 
Hello 
GenId option (TLV type: 0x14).

A. Section 4.6.1 says: "The Generation_Identifier (GenID) Option SHOULD 
be 
included in all Hello messages". 

>>Though it is a "recommended" feature, router does not include so, even 
in 
Hello on bootup. 

B. Section 4.6.1 says: "To allow new or rebooting routers to learn of 
PIM 
neighbors quickly,when a Hello message is received from a new 
neighbor,or a 
Hello message with a new GenID is received from an existing neighbor,a 
new 
Hello message should be sent on this interface after a randomized delay 
between
0 and Triggered_Hello_Delay". 

>>I took it as a mandatory feature(?). But router does not send 
triggered Hello 
in response to a Hello with new GenId from an existing router.

Does the router require some specific configuration? Suggestions are 
welcome!

Thanks,
Subrata Sa
_____________________________________________________________