Subject: [pim] security in pim-sm

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 17:51:31 +0100

Dear all,

I heard that there was a discussion about security of PIM-SM during the
past IETF meeting and that there has been a request for security input. The
attached draft has been distributed on the IRTF GSEC mailing list about 2
weeks ago. It contains a discussion of security issues that are to my
knowledge not yet solved in the current PIM-SM I-D. It mainly addresses
three problems.
1. The IPsec anti-replay mechanism runs into troubles if multiple senders
use a single SA to send messages to a group address.
2. How to automatically set up SAs between more than 2 entities.
3. Authentication of Bootstrap messages.
The ideas in this document could be included in the security section of the
PIM-SM I-D or the document could stay a separate draft but it could in
first instance serve as a starting point for a discussion of the topic.

Kind regards,
                                               ___________________
Annelies Van Moffaert                          \                 /
_______________________________________________ \               /____
                                                 \  ALCATEL    /
Security Technologies                        Network Strategy Group
Tel   : +32 (0)3 240 83 58                   Francis Wellesplein  1
Fax   : +32 (0)3 240 48 88                 B-2018 Antwerpen Belgium
                                                     \    /
______________________________________________________\  /___________
                                                       \/

(See attached file: draft-vanmoffaert-pim-sm-security-issues-00.txt)

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 10:02:01 -0800

>first instance serve as a starting point for a discussion of the topic.

Thank you!  I've read it through, and that's exactly the input we
badly needed.  It's clear we've got some work to do....

Cheers,
	Mark

---

From: Hugh Holbrook <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 11:01:40 -0800 (PST)

Yes, I just read it through and it is very helpful.  We'll definitely
incorporate your comments into the next revision of the PIM spec.

Regards,
-Hugh

> From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked],
> 	[email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 10:02:01 -0800
> 
>