Subject: [pim] PIM-SM (*, *, RP)

From: "Subrata Sa" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 05:30:11 -0800

Hi,

I'm using Cisco IOS image 12.2 (5a) for PIM-SM v2 conformance testing.

The router is creating (S, G) and (*, G) forwarding states on receipt
of Join (S, G) and Join (*, G) respectively and propagating the Joins
to its upstream neighbor. But it does not propagate Join or create a
forwarding state for (*, *, RP) case. 

The (*, *, RP) Join message that I'm sending to the router, has 
following settings:

Upstream Neighbor Address: IP address of the Cisco router interface/32
Group Address: 224.0.0.0/4
Join Source Address: IP address of RP interface/32

Does the router need some specific configuration for (*, *, RP) case 
or
there is some other issue? Solutions/ suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Subrata
_____________________________________________________________

---

From: John Zwiebel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 14:27:45 -0800

Cisco, as well as a few other vendors, does not support
the (*,*,G) capability.

I've never had a customer ask for it.

On Monday, December 17, 2001, at 05:30 AM, Subrata Sa wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Pim-external mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://mailist.procket.com/mailman/listinfo/pim-external

---

From: Mark Handley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 15:14:19 -0800

>I've never had a customer ask for it.

(*,*,RP) isn't really needed in most current deployment scenarios -
currently MSDP is serving that role, although it's not a good
solution.

(*,*,RP) is needed for many future deployment scenarios.  We
considered removing it from the current spec, but didn't because we
wanted PIM-SM to be capable of use in environments such as BGMP (or
whatever else might come along).

My guess is you won't see any call for (*,*,RP) with IPv4, but you
definitely might with IPv6, as the decision was not to do MSDP for
v6.  So if you're doing an IPv6 PIM-SM implementation, I'd definitely
recommend implementing (*,*,RP).

But in practice, outside of Intranets, what really matters right now
for both v4 and v6 is SSM.

Cheers,
	Mark