Subject: [pim] ambiguity in sending C-RP-Adv?

From: Ardas Cilingiroglu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:46:38 -0400

Hi,

In section 3.1 of the draft-ietf-pim-sm-bsr-03.txt, it states
that "If the router is the BSR for more than one scope zone,
the C-RP-Adv for these scope zones MAY be combined into
a single message".

I believe this is ambiguous. When a BSR (that serves multiple
scope zones) receives consecutive C-RP-Adv from the same RP,
how should it be interpreted?
  (1) Does the second one overrides the first (because the group-
ranges this RP serves has changed), or
  (2) The second one complements the first (because they are for
different scope zones).

One easy solution to this could be to change the word MAY into MUST
in the draft, which would mean always (1).

Another one is to change MAY into SHOULD NOT, which would mean
(2) if the scope zones are different and (1) if they are the same.

Any comments?

Thanks,
Ardas

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
http://catarina.usc.edu/mailman/listinfo/pim