Subject: [pim] Assert Message

From: "kishore kishore" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 08:29:40 -0400

In PIM-DM draft (draft-ietf-pim-dm-new-v2-03.txt) .
I would like to know if there's a need to send a prune message by the 
downsteam router to the Assert winner when a prefered Assert or State 
refresh packet is received (on the upstream interface or RPF interface) and 
the Assert state being in No_info state. Where the downstream router 
(coudl_assert = False) is interested in receiving the data traffic.

Cause the downstream router(could_assert = false) shall send a join message 
to counter the prune message sent by the upstream assert loser(could_assert 
= true)  to the assert winner so that the data traffic is not disrupted.

Thanks in adnvance.

Kishore

_________________________________________________________________
Express yourself with MSN Messenger 6.0 -- download now! 
http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_general

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
http://catarina.usc.edu/mailman/listinfo/pim

---

From: "Nicholas, Jonathan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 14:09:22 +0100

If I understand your question right, the answer is no.  

A downstream router (i.e. could_assert = FALSE), does not send a Prune
unless OIF(S,G) is NULL.  When an upstream router (the Assert Loser) sends a
Prune, the downstream router will send a Join to let the Assert Winner know
that there are still downstream members of the group.

The Assert Loser sends a Prune to prevent propogation of messages onto a net
where all the routers are upstream routers.

I hope that clarifies things.

Jonathan Nicholas

> -----Original Message-----
> From: kishore kishore [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2003 8:30 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [pim] Assert Message
> 
> 
> 

************************************
If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for
the delivery of this message to the addressee, please note that this
message may contain ITT Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such
a case, you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone.  You should
destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email.
Information contained in this message that does not relate to the
business of ITT is neither endorsed by nor attributable to ITT.
************************************

---

From: "Nicholas, Jonathan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 15:40:55 +0100

Actually, this is the one item that anyone has found to be incorrect in the
current draft.  A new draft will be issued shortly correcting this
oversight.

> From: Bandi Sarveshwar-G19441 [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2003 9:49 AM
> To: Nicholas, Jonathan; kishore kishore; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [pim] Assert Message
> 
> 
> Just for clarification, does the draft say this explicitly? I 
> looked for it but couldnt find it.
> 
> From: Nicholas, Jonathan [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2003 6:39 PM
> To: kishore kishore; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [pim] Assert Message
> 
>

---

From: "kishore P" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 00:13:33 -0400

Hi Nicholas,

There is one more point that I would like to bring to your notice. The 
Packet formats in the draft (draft-ietf-pim-dm-new-v2-03.txt) for Assert and 
Refresh State Packet mention the source address and Originator address 
encoded in the Unicast Encoded format(section 4.7.2)  while their 
description mention it has Source Encoded format(section 4.7.4). It needs to 
be updated as unicast encoded format.

Kishore

>From: "Nicholas, Jonathan" <[email-masked]>
>To: Bandi Sarveshwar-G19441 <[email-masked]>,        kishore kishore 
><[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
>Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 15:40:55 +0100 MIME-Version: 1.0
>Received: from mail1lo.highwayone.net ([195.70.64.22]) by 
>mc2-f5.law16.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.5600); Thu, 4 Sep 
>2003 07:49:23 -0700
>Received: from r2000.de.ittind.com ([62.232.4.18])by mail1lo.highwayone.net 
>(8.9.3+Sun/8.9.3) with SMTP id PAA13472;Thu, 4 Sep 2003 15:49:14 +0100 
>(BST)
>Received: from basinbb5.de.ittind.com by r2000.de.ittind.com          via 
>smtpd (for mail1lo.highwayone.net [195.70.64.22]) with SMTP; Thu, 4 Sep 
>2003 15:46:49 +0100
>Received: by basinbb5.de.ittind.com with Internet Mail Service 
>(5.5.2653.19)id <SH7W67G4>; Thu, 4 Sep 2003 15:43:50 +0100
>X-Message-Info: JGTYoYF78jEggnm+NXPpiFqFtCPi1IkU
>Message-ID: 
><[email-masked]>
>X-Mailer: Internet Mail Service (5.5.2653.19)
>content-class: urn:content-classes:message
>Return-Path: [email-masked]
>X-OriginalArrivalTime: 04 Sep 2003 14:49:23.0476 (UTC) 
>FILETIME=[BAE5FD40:01C372F3]
>

_________________________________________________________________
Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee. 
http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963