Subject: [pim] draft-ietf-pim-sm-v2-new-08.txt comments

From: SUZUKI Shinsuke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 16:30:52 +0900

Hello all,

I have one comment regarding section 4.3.1 p.31.
(Sorry for missing the WG last-call deadline...)

>	Before an interface goes down or changes IP address, a Hello
>	message with a zero HoldTime should be sent immediately (with
>	the old IP address if the IP address changed).  This will
>	cause PIM neighbors to remove this neighbor (or its old IP
>	address) immediately.  After an interface has changed its IP
>	address, it MUST send a Hello message with its new IP address.

According to this, PIM neighboring should be disconnected even when
only a secondary address changes.  However, I don't think such a
drastic behavior is necessary in such a case.  So how about changing
this part like the following manner?

	- replace 'IP address' with 'Primary IP address'

	- add the following description

		If an interface changes its secondary IP addresses, a
		Hello message with the new Address_List option should
		be sent immediately (not with a zero HoldTime).  This
		will cause PIM neighbors to learn this neighbor's new
		secondary addresses immediately.

Thanks,
----
SUZUKI, Shinsuke @ Hitachi / KAME Project

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim