Subject: [pim] Routers that fail to send Hello messages on point-to-point interf aces

From: James Lingard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:49:53 -0000

The PIM-SM spec states that:

> We note that some older PIM implementations incorrectly fail to send
> Hello messages on point-to-point interfaces, so we also RECOMMEND that a
> configuration option be provided to allow interoperation with such older
> routers, [...]

When interoperating with such a router, what should the Upstream Neighbor
Address field in Join/Prune messages sent to that router be set to?  Should
it be set to zero?

The following text from the spec seems to imply that this is the case,
although since it is only a 'recommendation' I'm not sure whether or not
this behavior on the part of the receiver can be relied upon.

> However on point-to-point links we also
> recommend that for backwards compatibility PIM Join/Prune messages with
> a destination address of all zeros are also accepted.

Does anyone have any experience of such routers, and if so whether they
accept Join/Prune messages with the Upstream Neighbor Address field set to
zero?

Thanks in advance,
James.

-- 
James Lingard
Data Connection Ltd (DCL)
http://www.dataconnection.com/

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim