Subject: RE: [pim] Border Router Changes

From: "Nicholas, Jonathan - ACD " <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:33:46 -0500

All,
 
I don't seem to have gotten any feedback regarding this.  Is my reading
of PIM-SM correct?  Is there anything that can be done about this?
Thanks.
 
Jonathan Nicholas

	-----Original Message-----
	From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Nicholas, Jonathan - ACD 
	Sent: Friday, October 14, 2005 3:17 PM
	To: [email-masked]
	Subject: [pim] Border Router Changes

	Hello, 

	I have a question regarding PMBR behavior.  

	Suppose I have two PMBRs A and B into the same external network.

	Messages for group G start flowing from source S through PMBR A
which sends Register(S,G) to the RP.  
	After some time, PMBR A loses its external interface and the
external network continues to attempt to forward multicast messages via
PMBR B.

	According to my reading of the latest draft, messages from PMBR
B will not be accepted until the Keepalive Timer (S,G) expires.  

	Obviously, this is not desirable behaviour.  Is there any way
for PMBR A to resign its registrations or the RP to probe the health of
PMBR A to expedite the handoff?

	Thanks. 

	Jonathan Nicholas 
	Network Systems Engineer 
	ITT Aerospace/Communications Division 

************************************
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are proprietary and
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are
addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the
sender. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail
are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of
ITT Industries, Inc. The recipient should check this e-mail and any
attachments for the presence of viruses. ITT Industries accepts no
liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.
************************************

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim