Subject: [pim] About macros - pim_include and joins.

From: Yoshikubo Katsumi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 16:10:11 +0900

Dear sirs,

I have just studied PIM-SM.I am reading draft-ietf-pim-sm-v2-new-11.
What is different between "pim_include(S,G)" and "joins(S,G)"?

I think that pim_include(S,G) are obtained from such as IGMPv3/MLDv2,
joins(S,G) are obtained from PIM-SMv2.
Is this correct?

Best regards,
Yoshikubo.

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim

---

From: "David McWalter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 11:11:15 -0000

Yoshikubo,

Your description is about right.

Notice that the information received from IGMP/MLD is actually local_receiver_include.  The macro pim_include only contains those listeners for which we are acting as DR.

This is one area where the draft text is very good.  You'll find the following definitions for these macros in section 4.1.6.

DMcW.

The macros pim_include(*,G) and pim_include(S,G) indicate the interfaces
to which traffic might be forwarded because of hosts that are local
members on that interface.  Note that normally only the DR cares about
local membership, but when an assert happens, the assert winner takes
over responsibility for forwarding traffic to local members that have
requested traffic on a group or source/group pair.

pim_include(S,G) =
    { all interfaces I such that:
      ( (I_am_DR( I ) AND lost_assert(S,G,I) == FALSE )
        OR AssertWinner(S,G,I) == me )
       AND  local_receiver_include(S,G,I) }

The clause "local_receiver_include(S,G,I)" is true if the IGMP/MLD
module or other local membership mechanism has determined that local     |
members on interface I desire to receive traffic sent specifically by S
to G.

The set "joins(S,G)" is the set of all interfaces on which the router
has received (S,G) Joins:

joins(S,G) =
    { all interfaces I such that
      DownstreamJPState(S,G,I) is either Join or Prune-Pending }

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Yoshikubo Katsumi
Sent: 25 November 2005 07:10
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [pim] About macros - pim_include and joins.

Dear sirs,

Best regards,
Yoshikubo.