Subject: [pim] Are there any freeware tools which support IGMPv3 host stack

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:23:17 -0800

Hello, 

Are there any freeware tools that run the IGMPv3 host stack (sending
INCLUDE and EXCLUDE membership reports) which can be used for testing
IGMPv3 querier state machine. 

VLC (video lan client) is one such freeware tool with supports v3 host
stack. VLC generates INCLUDE reports when configured to listen to
traffic only from certain selected sources. Is there is a way to
configure VLC to EXCLUDE traffic from certain sources. 

Cisco 12.4 seems to support v3 host stack. The command to send
membership reports with INCLUDE records seems fairly simple. Cisco
supports "join igmp X1.X2.X3.X4 source Y1.Y2.Y3.Y4". How do we get the
Cisco box to send reports with EXCLUDE records.

Thanks,
Sowmya

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:45:15 +0100

> Cisco box to send reports with EXCLUDE records.

If you use e.g. Linux you can use the RFC 3678 API to do this. If you
want code, I guess you can try my experimental code which is attached.
It contains some definitions that shouldn't be needed, but they might
depending on the version of C library the system has. You also need
2.6.10 or later (or possibly very latest 2.4) kernel.

With the attached code you can do include or exclude for IPv4 and
IPv6. The syntax is:

include: mctest s1,s2,s3,...,g
exclude: mctest g,s1,s2,s3,...

Be warned that code is experimental and perhaps not that beautiful,
but it works for me. It does nothing apart from setting the filters
and sleeping for 10 minutes. But it's fine for testing what you want.
Well, there might be better test programs out there that allows you
to add or remove one source at the time and not just setting a
complete filter like I do.

Stig

---

From: John Zwiebel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 09:45:43 -0800

This provides you exactly what you want.  I've used it on FreeBSD with
great success.  I think it also runs on windows, but you need the right
version of windows.
   http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/mcast-tools/mcast-tools/pmsft/

Wilbert used to have an igmpv3 patch for FreeBSD here, this used  
pmsft, but
its now gone.  <sigh>
    http://www.kloosterhof.com/~wilbert/igmpv3.html

OTOH, the IPv6 folks in Japan, (KAME) did an IGMPv3 implementation which
they claimed was better than wilberts.

    http://www.kame.net/

And their IGMPv3 was rumored to be ported to FreeBSD 6.0 (again, you  
still use pmsft)

Or you can get it for netbsd
http://www-sop.inria.fr/planete/Hitoshi.Asaeda/igmpv3/