Subject: [pim] PIM-SM with IPv6 addresses

From: "varun srivastava" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 11:07:22 +0530

Hi,
  I have following queries regarding using PIM-SM over IPv6.
consider the following topology

<router-a>BSR/RP------------<router-b>----------<host-b>

1) In PIM BSR message from router-a I keep source address as link
local ipv6 address in ipv6 header, and I'm using one global ipv6
address to advertise as BSR address (as link local scope can not be
advertised as global BSR). is this is correct ?

2) In this case I think we need to advertise global ipv6 address of
router-a in Hello message under option type 24. Now I think this
advertising of global ipv6 address as secondary address for the link
local address should be enough. But when I'm sending Join/Prune
packets from host-b to router-b with RP address as global ipv6 address
of router-a then router-b is failing RPF  check as it is not getting
any link for global ipv6 address of router-a. Can you suggest what
extra should be done ?
Note: router-b is cisco 7200 and if I explicitly add static route for
router-a global ipv6 address then every thing works fine , so I guess
problem is dynamic mapping of secondary global address to primary link
local address of router-a.

waiting for early help
Regards
Varun

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim

---

From: Nidhi Bhaskar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 01:05:09 -0700 (PDT)

> advertised as global BSR). is this is correct ?

That is correct.

> any link for global ipv6 address of router-a. Can you suggest what

That is odd. What IGP are you running ? You shouldn't RPF fail on
router-b for a directly connected IPv6 address. I suspect something
may be broken in unicast routing. Make sure the interface on which you
have the global RP address configured is also enabled for your v6
unicast routng protocol.

Nidhi.

---

From: "varun srivastava" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:51:05 +0530

Hi Nidhi,
 I don't want to use any IGP . So in absence of IGP what are the options left ?
My basic questions is :- if I am already advertsing relationship
between router-a link local address and router-a global address in
hello message then why an extra route entry [either thru IGP or static
route] is needed to ask router to fwd router-a global address packets
to router-a link local address?
--
varun

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:01:31 +0200

> I don't want to use any IGP . So in absence of IGP what are the options 

Point is that router-b must do RPF on the BSR address in the BSM, so 
router-b needs a route for the global address used as BSR address.

If you have global addresses on link between router-a and router-b, then 
you should be ok (e.g. you use a /64 prefix for the link, and then by 
configuring the interfaces, router-b will have a route for router-a's 
address, they are both in the same /64).

You might also add a static route on router-b, but the sane thing (IMO), 
is to just do what I said above.

Stig