Subject: [pim] RFC 5015 on Bidirectional Protocol Independent Multicast (BIDIR-PIM)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 18:06:21 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5015

        Title:      Bidirectional Protocol Independent Multicast 
                    (BIDIR-PIM) 
        Author:     M. Handley, I. Kouvelas,
                    T. Speakman, L. Vicisano
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       October 2007
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked]
        Pages:      43
        Characters: 96431
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pim-bidir-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5015.txt

This document discusses Bidirectional PIM (BIDIR-PIM), a variant of PIM
Sparse-Mode that builds bidirectional shared trees connecting
multicast sources and receivers.  Bidirectional trees are built
using a fail-safe Designated Forwarder (DF) election mechanism
operating on each link of a multicast topology.  With the
assistance of the DF, multicast data is natively forwarded from
sources to the Rendezvous-Point (RP) and hence along the shared tree
to receivers without requiring source-specific state.  The DF
election takes place at RP discovery time and provides the route
to the RP, thus eliminating the requirement for data-driven
protocol events.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Protocol Independent Multicast
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
 Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
 status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim