Subject: [pim] pim querry related with secondary address and domain wide address

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 09:44:06 +0530

Hello Friends,

   I have got some querry related with secondary addresses and
domai-wide address of router. Let me tell you what is going on
in my mind:
 (a) Let's say we are configuring a routre with 8 or n ports. Then what
do we do:
(i) for each port we assign some ip address. It can be different on
each port if each port of router is connected to different networks.
(II) In that case maximum addresses possible are n which correspond
to no. of ports of the router.

   Then what is all about primary and secondary addresses.
Domain wide addresses are mentioned on page no. 107 of RFC 4601.
("The source address used for unicast messages is a domain-wide reachable
address; the source address used for multicast messages is the link-local
address of the interface on which the message is being sent.").

Regards,
Bhavin,
Networking Student.

---

From: Jeyanth Christopher <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 21:18:19 +0530

Hi,

I guess the following link might be helpful in this regard

ftp://ftp.kame.net/pub/internet-drafts/draft-suz-pim-upstream-detection-00.txt

Regards,
Jeyanth

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 9:44 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [pim] pim querry related with secondary address and domain wideaddress

Hello Friends,

Regards,
Bhavin,
Networking Student.

_______________________________________________
pim mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim

"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Aricent and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or confidential information and should not be circulated or used for any purpose other than for what it is intended. If you have received this message in error,please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. Aricent accepts no responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted by this email including damage from virus."

---

From: Bill Atwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 20:54:15 -0400

Bhavin,

For each interface, the router must choose one address, which will be
its primary address _for_that_interface_.  This address can be a
link-local address, since it will be used only for "link-local" messages
in PIM (hello, join/prune, assert).  (Link-local addresses are
well-defined for IPv6; for IPv4 the address is likely to be more widely
addressable.)

Suppose, as you suggest below, that I1 chooses A1 as its primary
address, and I2 through I8 choose A2 through A8, respectively.  Then
I1's primary address is A1, and the secondary addresses that it can
advertise are A2 through A8.  I2's primary address is A2, and the
secondary addresses that it may advertise are A1, and A3 through A8.

When sending a Hello, the primary address of that interface will be used
as the source address for link-local packets from that interface; the
secondary addresses (i.e., the other possible addresses that can be
associated with this router) may be announced using the Address List
option for PIM, for the reasons outlined in the expired Internet Draft
that was indicated in Jayanth's email to this list earlier today.

For those PIM packets that are sent to a (typically non-local) unicast
address, the source address must be domain-addressable, since it must be
possible for the recipient to reply to it.  Note that this address is
domain-addressable, and not necessarily globally-addressable, since
PIM-SM is a single-domain protocol.

  Bill

-- 

Dr. J.W. Atwood, Eng.             tel:   +1 (514) 848-2424 x3046
Distinguished Professor Emeritus  fax:   +1 (514) 848-2830
Department of Computer Science
   and Software Engineering
Concordia University EV 3.185     email: [email-masked]
1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. West    http: //users.encs.concordia.ca/~bill
Montreal, Quebec Canada H3G 1M8