Subject: [pim] Re-introducing MSNIP (Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-magma-msnip-06)

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 13:16:58 -0800

Hi, I have just submitted this draft which I think is a solution to
the first-hop multicast flooding problem we discussed last meeting.
See draft-dizhou-pim-umf-problem-statement-01 for problem statement.

MSNIP has been a wg draft for the magma wg which is gone by now.
It allows for hosts to register as sources and be notified when
there are receivers. MSNIP was designed for SSM.

The main problem with ASM is how the first-hop router can know if
there are receivers. This is a problem both for MSNIP and other
solutions trying to avoid first-hop multicast flooding. See
Appendix A for how this may be solved, allowing MSNIP to be extended
to ASM.

The one thing that distinguishes MSNIP from other proposals
regarding first-hop flooding, is that the host is involved.
This has some benefits in that the application can learn when
it should send. This is particularly useful if resources are
needed for encoding etc. Also, e.g. a camera need only be
turned on when there are receivers. It also helps us avoid
PIM data registers, we can have the RP join towards the first-hop
router and have the tree in place before the source tries to send.

Comments welcome,

Stig

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-magma-msnip-06
Date: Fri,  4 Mar 2011 13:01:26 -0800 (PST)
From: IETF I-D Submission Tool <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked],        [email-masked]

A new version of I-D, draft-ietf-magma-msnip-06.txt has been 
successfully submitted by Stig Venaas and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-ietf-magma-msnip
Revision:	 06
Title:		 Multicast Source Notification of Interest Protocol (MSNIP)
Creation_date:	 2011-03-04
WG ID:		 magma
Number_of_pages: 32

Abstract:
This document discusses the Multicast Source Interest Notification
Protocol (MSNIP).  MSNIP is an extension to IGMPv3 and MLDv2 that
provides membership notification services for sources of multicast
traffic operating within the SSM destination address range.

The IETF Secretariat.