Subject: [pim] RFC 6754 on Protocol Independent Multicast Equal-Cost Multipath (ECMP) Redirect

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 15:37:20 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6754

        Title:      Protocol Independent Multicast 
                    Equal-Cost Multipath (ECMP) Redirect 
        Author:     Y. Cai, L. Wei, H. Ou, 
                    V. Arya, S. Jethwani
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Characters: 24599
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pim-ecmp-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6754.txt

A Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) router uses the Reverse Path
Forwarding (RPF) procedure to select an upstream interface and router
in order to build forwarding state.  When there are equal cost
multipaths (ECMPs), existing implementations often use hash
algorithms to select a path.  Such algorithms do not allow the spread
of traffic among the ECMPs according to administrative metrics.  This
usually leads to inefficient or ineffective use of network resources.
This document introduces the ECMP Redirect, a mechanism to improve
the RPF procedure over ECMPs.  It allows ECMP selection to be based
on administratively selected metrics, such as data transmission
delays, path preferences, and routing metrics.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Protocol Independent Multicast Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC