Subject: [pim] Review request - draft-josyula-dhc-multicast - DHCP Option for IPTV source addresses

From: Ramakanth Josyula <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 11:07:27 +0530

Hi all,

I have submitted the below internet draft proposing a new DHCP option for
IPTV source addresses.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-josyula-dhc-multicast-02.txt

I would request you to review this document and provide the comments on
standardizing the same.

Please guide me through the process if I miss anything with respect to the
process of the review.

Thanks and regards,

Ramakanth.

*Below is the brief introduction about the background and the benefits of
the proposed option :*

*Back ground : *

IPTV Solution is widely integrated as part of the broadband networks in
triple/multi play solutions. In many cases this service is run by
delivering multicast streams to the IP hosts/Set top boxes connected to the
home gateways.  IGMP protocol in IPv4 networks and   MLD protocol in IPv6
networks are commonly used for requesting these  multicast streams from the
nearest router connected via an access network. By using the IGMP version-3
in IPv4 networks and MLD version-2 in IPv6 networks, the hosts can request
multicast streams from the specific set of multicast sources.

The proposed option is intended to supply all the available IPv4 or IPv6
source addresses from which the multicast hosts can request and receive the
multicast streams.

*Benefits of implementing this option :*

   - It provides an effective method for maintaining and updating the
multicast source address information to every multicast host in the network
as per their individual SLAs.

   - Intermediate access nodes can snoop this option from the DHCP messages
to extend the its multicast services like : Authentication of multicast
users, integrating non-source aware multicast clients etc.

   - Convergence of IPTV services from different users can be achieved at
the user level irrespective of the multicast transmitting technologies used
in the network. For example, any service provider who manages the
aggregation

     and access networks can receive the multicast streams from different
sources/networks (may not be under their own administration) and feed them
to their access networks.

   - The subscribers can easily validate the quality of the service offered
by different IPTV sources dynamically and switch to the interested source
as per their own set of requirements.