Subject: [pim] VRRP and PIM

From: Mike McBride <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 14:11:16 -0700

This begins a two week poll to gauge interest with working on vrrp
related work within the pim wg. We have a couple of vrrp related
drafts being proposed for adoption. As discussed in Berlin, we've had
some interest on this work in the past but no hands of support went up
in Berlin. Before making any decisions with regards to the two
proposed drafts, Stig and I would like to get a pulse of current
interest.

If you are in favor of this work in pim please respond on the list. If
you are not in favor of this work in pim please respond on the list.

thanks,
mike

Here are the notes from our meeting in Berlin:

draft-zhou-pim-vrrp-01 adoption discussion (Mike)
=================================================
Adoption currently on hold. Authors of
draft-xu-pim-drpriority-auto-adjustment-04 would like wg to consider a
merge because there is an overlap particularly with aligning vrrp with
pim. We will have a brief overview of both and discuss how to proceed.

draft-xu-pim-drpriority-auto-adjustment wasn't accepted as a wg item a
couple of years ago. No strong interest in the group.

The WG needs to decide if its interested in this work, the earlier
draft. If not we proceed with draft-zhou-pim-vrrp adoption call if
there is interest. If interest we either:

-Adopt and progress both drafts. One as a problem statement, the other
as protocol work.
-Reference earlier draft in draft-zhou-pim-vrrp
-Merge drafts into new draft

Any interest in VRRP in general? No hands. Will take it to the list
and see if there is any interest. If no one but the authors care we
won't work it. 4 in favor last time in addition to authors.

Note: the usual suspects were not in the room primarily due to
conflicting WG meetings.