Subject: [pim] draft-sami-pim-ng-02 PIM-NG advantages (part 2)

From: saeed sami <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 00:46:48 +0330

Hello.

This email might be a little too long but it is worth reading and I hope 
that it will be read by WG experts.  It is related to some of the 
advantages of PIM-NG the new proposed PIM protocol. The draft can be 
find at:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sami-pim-ng-02

since It was not possible to send the email at once I will have to send 
it to the mailing list  in separate parts , and this is part2 of the series.

Some of the key advantages of PIM-NG that can make it a potential 
candidate for adoption by the WG are explained bellow:

6-Since the role of an RP is similar to an information station which 
only helps last hop routers (clients) find the source of a multicast 
traffic (G), large number of last hops won't cause any problem in a 
PIM-NG domain. This is achieved due to the fact that the RP doesn't need 
to save the state of every (*, G) join it receives before a last hop 
switches to SPT and actually there is no RPT tree formations.

7-Since as soon as a source is registered with the RP, clients (last hop 
router) will only need to send a unicast-encapsulated request for source 
message to the RP and as soon as the unicast address of the source is 
received back from the RP they will join the SPT tree there will be no 
delay at all in communicating with a source and receiving the multicast 
traffic it represents.

8-PIM-NG uses a new ANYCAST RP and Mesh-Group concept, which if 
implemented correctly, allows for the existence of many RPs in a single 
multicast domain while reducing the network resource consumption by the 
multicast introduction messages sent by RPs and also reduces the amount 
of Active source advertisements within a domain. In a single multicast 
domain the number of existing RPs can be up to 255 RPs which if the 
PIM-NG Sub-Domain concept is implemented correctly , the number of 
existing RPs in a multicast domain can be increased to up to 254*255 
conceptually , which will provide high availability in its maximum level.

9-Since the current multicast domain definition and RPF check method in 
use by PIM-SM and MSDP doesn't allow the existence of transitory 
Autonomous System'(s) or multicast domains, PIM-NG introduces its unique 
multicast domain concept alongside a new RPF check method unique to 
PIM-NG specifications which allows the existence of transitory multicast 
domains.

10-The new RPF check method introduced in PIM-NG gives a higher level of 
control and security with regards to propagation and advertisement of 
the information regarding the active sources. Dou to its nature which 
allows the existence of transitory multicast domains and because the RPF 
check method and how different multicast domains are connected in 
PIM-NG, administrators will have a flexible and easy control over the 
Active sources advertisements.

11-Because of the new and unique multicast domain concept introduced, 
PIM-NG provides a higher level of control over multicast networks 
through the concept of Sub-Domain alongside a higher level of security 
which is indeed a positive factor for any protocol through the 
implementation of Stub-Domains. Both of the concepts are unique to PIM-NG.

End of part 2.
-- 
sincerely yours
MR.SAEED SAMI