Subject: [pim] draft-sami-pim-ng-02 PIM-NG advantages (part 1)

From: saeed sami <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 04:01:47 +0330

Hello.

This email might be a little too long but it is worth reading since it 
is about some of the key advantages of the new proposed protocol, and I 
hope that it will be read by WG experts.  It is related to some of the 
advantages of PIM-NG the new proposed PIM protocol. The draft can be 
find at:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sami-pim-ng-02

since It was not possible to send the email at once I will have to send 
it to the mailing list  in separate parts , and this is part 1 of the 
series.

Some of the key advantages of PIM-NG that can make it a potential 
candidate for adoption by the WG are explained bellow:

1-Different concepts of PIM-NG with regards to RP discovery and other 
processes are designed in a way to provide an easy to implement (to some 
extents), automatic or intelligent routing protocol to some extents. 
This is achieved by introducing new processes and packet types which 
allow PIM-NG components such as C-RP's, C-MAPPER's and ... to converge 
and fin each other automatically and in the lowest time interval.

2-the definition and role of existing RP'(S) and BSR'(s) weren't clear 
at least to my eyes which guided me towards a little bit different 
definition with regards to how the exiting components of a PIM-NG 
multicast network are introduced to the PIM-NG population.

3-A PIM-NG MAPPER which can be considered as a BSR too, has a more vital 
role in PIM-NG which makes it possible to follow a hierarchical design 
pattern.

4-PIM-NG uses a new source register process which makes the size of 
register packets smaller due to the fact that there will be no need for 
data packet to be sent alongside the register message.  This will reduce 
the bandwidth and resource consumption since no data packet is sent in a 
register message.

5-The source discovery method used by PIM-SM seemed a little 
un-optimized in parts mainly related to a last hop router joining the 
RPT rooted at the RP first and then switch to SPT. This process is not 
necessary and is network resource consuming. So a new process is defined 
in PIM-NG which eliminates the need for the (*, G) RPT tree to form 
first. The new source discovery method puts PIM-NG one cycle a head of 
PIM-SM in finding and communicating with a source.

End of part 1.
-- 
sincerely yours
MR.SAEED SAMI

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 15:44:35 -0700

It would be nice if others could also take a look at these advantages,
and ideally also the proposal, and provide some comments.

Stig

On 5/27/2014 5:31 PM, saeed sami wrote:
> allow PIM-NG components such as C-RP's, C-MAPPER's and … to converge and
> fin each other automatically and in the lowest time interval.
>