Subject: [pim] comment on draft-ietf-pim-source-discovery-bsr

From: Hermin Anggawijaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 13:51:27 +1200

Would the draft benefit by allowing static (S,G, Holdtime) tuples to be
configured at the FHR ? this way (listeners or) LHRs can send (S,G) joins
before the first packet of real data is sent (and the SPTs from LHR to FHR
are primed), thus allowing listeners that need first data packet to receive
it properly. And if this can be included, maybe we need a way of marking
the (S,G,Ht) as static config in the flooded source list.

Of course I realise that the first packet issue can also be solved at the
application layer, by  sources to send priming 'data' packets, but that's
another story.

I think the scenario is not unrealistic, since source addresses do not
change that often and chances are the FHR is managed by the same admin
managing the data sources ?

cheers

Angga

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 08:02:44 -0700

Hi

On 7/22/2014 6:51 PM, Hermin Anggawijaya wrote:
> configured at the FHR ? this way (listeners or) LHRs can send (S,G)
> joins before the first packet of real data is sent (and the SPTs from
> LHR to FHR are primed), thus allowing listeners that need first data
> packet to receive it properly. And if this can be included, maybe we
> need a way of marking the (S,G,Ht) as static config in the flooded
> source list.
>
> Of course I realise that the first packet issue can also be solved at
> the application layer, by  sources to send priming 'data' packets, but
> that's another story.
>

Thanks. Yes, that is a good point. We should mention that, and I might
also add this for the prototype implementation. It becomes a bit like
SSM mapping that some people configure then, except I agree it is better
to manage it at the first hop where the source actually is located.

Note that another option mentioned in the draft is to make use of
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-magma-msnip-06
but that requires host support for allowing an application to indicate
it wants to be a source.

Stig

> cheers
>
> Angga
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> pim mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim
>