Subject: [pim] Protocol Action: 'Protocol Independent Multicast - Sparse Mode (PIM-SM): Protocol Specification (Revised)' to Internet Standard (draft-ietf-pim-rfc4601bis-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 10:01:51 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Protocol Independent Multicast - Sparse Mode (PIM-SM): Protocol
   Specification (Revised)'
  (draft-ietf-pim-rfc4601bis-06.txt) as Internet Standard

This document is the product of the Protocols for IP Multicast Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pim-rfc4601bis/

Technical Summary

This document specifies Protocol Independent Multicast - Sparse Mode
(PIM-SM).  PIM-SM is a multicast routing protocol that can use the
underlying unicast routing information base or a separate multicast-
capable routing information base.  It builds unidirectional shared
trees rooted at a Rendezvous Point (RP) per group, and optionally
creates shortest-path trees per source.This document addresses errata 
filed against RFC 4601, and removes the optional (*,*,RP) and PIM 
Multicast Border Router features that lacks sufficient deployment
experience.

Working Group Summary

There was very good feedback on the list over the last year, 
particularly during the last WGLCs. 
All comments were addressed to the satisfaction of those commenting.

Document Quality

There are several existing implementations of the protocol over the span 
of many years. Bharat Joshi, most particularly, had many recent comments 
that were all addressed in final fine tuning of the document.
RFC7063 documents the features implemented in a survey report.
The document shepherds verified that all the errata had been handled.

Personnel

Mike McBride & Bill Atwood are the document shepherd and Alvaro Retana 
is the responsible AD.

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 11:32:13 -0700

We finally got the rfc4601bis draft approved!

Congrats to the authors for all the work that went into this, and to
those that contributed answering surveys and discussions in the
working group.

The RFC editor might still want some minor changes, but the rest is
now just a formality. Sparse-Mode will now be an Internet Standard.

Stig