Subject: [pim] Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-pim-source-discovery-bsr-07

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 11:16:35 -0800

Reviewer: Joel Jaeggli
Review result: Has Nits

Greetings,

I reviewed this draft on behalf of the OPS directorate for operational
considerations.

I think this draft is largely ready to go. Toerless had some comments during
last call against draft-07 which are worthy of inclusion. In particular, The
distinction between BSR (rfc 5059) although pointed out in the introduction is
important enough that it should be captured in the title.

>From my general understanding of the mechanism  there are  probably limitations
to how well ti apprach scales which limits it's applicability to large pim
domains. The experimental status is therefore quite appropriate. It represents
significant improvement over dense mode pim so in the sense that it offers the
opportunity for significantly lower coordination/signaling requirements without
the destructive nature of flooding and then pruning the source traffic. it is
quite appropriate to proceed to experimental status. When we move on from that
I would be willing to bet that applicability will need to be refined
accordingly.

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 15:20:37 -0800

Thanks. I posted version 08 just now that includes some text suggested
by Toerless. How well this scales is probably the most important part
of the experiment. I agree we do not know the applicability at this
point.

Stig

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 23:18:45 +0100

Thanks for the update, Stig. -08 looks very good.

I don't agree that scale is the key aspect to disqualify this draft from
being considered to go standards track. There is a lot of IP multicast deployed
very densely - in those deployments, PIM-SM will not scale better but will
continue to be more operationally expensive due to its need for manual
configuration and complexity.

I am happy to be educated about the current normative criteria for standards track (ptr ?).

Cheers
    toerless

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 03:20:37PM -0800, Stig Venaas wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> pim mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim

-- 
---
[email-masked]