Subject: [pim] draft-ietf-pim-source-discovery-bsr update

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 15:26:57 -0800

Hi

The IETF last call has ended for draft-ietf-pim-source-discovery-bsr.
I've now submitted version 08 that I think should address the
comments/issues. The new version includes a lot more text. I believe
the only protocol change though is that instead of having a 16 bit
type space with a special meaning for types with the most significant
bit set, I have explicitly called the bit the Transitive bit, and made
the type space 15 bits. Like Join attributes, the Transitive bit
indicates whether routers not supporting the type should forward it.

The new draft is available here
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-pim-source-discovery-bsr-08

and a diff from 07 is here
https://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-pim-source-discovery-bsr-08.txt

Let me know if you have any concerns about the changes or have
suggestions for further improvements.

Stig

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 22:52:22 +0100

Thanks, Stug and co-authors for the good work.

As mentioned on IETF review, i think the document is ready to become RFC.

As OT, more on the "where to go from here" front:

I think the name does not help to sell it, but of course its
too late to change that now. Something like "ASM for PIM-SSM" would
have been better to indicate its (IMHO) purpose.

Given how we also do not have an actual PIM-SSM RFC, maybe we
could take rfc7761, remove all RP related text to derive at PIM-SSM,
and we could then add source-discovery as an optional element to
support also ASM. As a proposed next-gen evolution of PIM for how to
do multicast.

But there's a bunch of related deployment model/recommendation
evolution thoughts we may want to first work out in Mboned.

Cheers
    toerless

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 03:26:57PM -0800, Stig Venaas wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> pim mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pim

-- 
---
[email-masked]