Subject: PINT I-D revisions

From: [email-masked] (Lawrence Conroy)
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 22:11:55 +0000

Hi All,
   Scott's useful mailing highlighted a number of good points. I hope that
we can all tighten up the I-D now as it needs it, as Scott rightly points
out.

I trust that SIP is somewhat more of a stable target, so that we can now
rely on it (IESG permitting). No more RFCxxxx references!

The "PINT extensions" that Scott mentions (basically, the Q763 stuff and, I
guess, the phone-context and "GSTN-specific source reference" stuff) do
need clarification, I feel.
------------
The Q763 extension(s) were proposed so that we had a mechanism for sending
extra data that might be needed to specify the requested call parameters in
future services.

Personally, I don't THINK that we need them for the current target services
(ICW is NOT a current core service, although it IS interesting :). Thus,
I'm in favour of "parking" the text at least for now.

Does anyone have any objections to this?
------------

As for the "phone-context" extension - I think that we DO need this, and
for the core services. It's difficult to see how to deal with
network-specific service numbers (Free phone, Premium rate, and so on)
without it. What does need to be done is for it to be specified in both the
SIP and the SDP parts of the I-D.

If anyone has a STRONG objection to it, and an idea for how to deal with
service numbers that require a service to originate a call in a particular
network without it, please speak up!

For the "GSTN-specific source reference" extension, this should be
straightforward - it's pretty much a limited plain text token/value pair,
and so shouldn't take too much work, IMHO. I can see how this would be
useful for one of the core services (R2FB), so I tend to be in favour of
keeping it in.
Again, if anyone has a STRONG objection to it and can see a way to pass
this kind of reference "over", please enlighten us all!
------------

All the best, Lawrence
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Lawrence Conroy,    | "These Opinions must be mine, 'cos if they    |
| Roke Manor Research |  were my Company's they'd charge you for them"|
|- [email-masked]  ---+- Tel: +44 1794 833666  Fax: +44 1794 833434 --|

---------
This message came from the IETF PINT Working Group Mailing List.