Subject: Re: PINT Issue

From: [email-masked] (Lawrence Conroy)
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 17:00:32 +0000

At 10:04 am 30/11/98, Lev Slutsman wrote:
> One of the important issues is to let a calling customer know about the status
> of the queue, that is how many customers are ahead of him and /or waiting
> time.SIP 1xx responses may be used to deliver that information, however, there
> should be a feed-back message sent by SCP/SN to PINT GW that provide this
> information.

To which I reply:

Continuous or repeated status is A Good Idea.

However, the use of 1xx codes is a problem - the INVITE from the PINT
Client to the PINT Gateway is accepted with a 2xx "final" response from the
Gateway back to the client, after which the Client "commits" the request by
sending an ACK message to the Gateway. The Gateway cannot, with PINT, start
sending back 1xx responses AFTER it has sent a "final" response.

The current PINT draft suggests that a PINT Client can SUBSCRIBE to some
event, after which responses containing the status of that event will be
returned as requested inside NOTIFY messages.  It's something that has been
introduced into "core" SIP, and so it's sensible to use that rather than
invent our own message (as we had done with the "status" message). However,
its introduction was quite recent, and this area needs work, IMHO.

As for the SCF->Gateway side of things, I believe that SG11 has decided
that "Internet support" should be added back into CS3 and so it's unlikely
that here will be any new INAP definitions - the timescales are too short,
and I believe that the meeting this week in San Diego is about the last
where anything can be introduced without blowing CS3 off schedule.

I guess Igor or Hui-Lan should know the details of the ITU-T status best.

All the best, Lawrence
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Lawrence Conroy,    | "These Opinions must be mine, 'cos if they    |
| Roke Manor Research |  were my Company's they'd charge you for them"|
|- [email-masked]  ---+- Tel: +44 1794 833666  Fax: +44 1794 833434 --|

---------
This message came from the IETF PINT Working Group Mailing List.