Subject: Nasty Spam

From: [email-masked] (Igor Faynberg)
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 10:55:00 -0500

Ladies and Gentlemen:

It so happened that in addition to the usual (and infrequent) spam of
rather inoffensive nature, PINT and many other groups got recently
spammed with rather disgusting invitations.

I was asked to block the mailing list from such addresses, but, 
unfortunately, nothing of the sort can be done. These "organizations"
change the e-mail addresses (which are often fictional anyway) very
often.  If anyone knows what could be done, I would appreciate
all suggestions (by private mail, please--this is not a PINT
discussion).

Now, since the posting came to a Bell Labs machine, I am getting
Lucent security involved. I guess the offenders can be tracked down
by the 800 number they included in the message. I do hope they
will be found and prosecuted, but I am at a loss regarding the
prevention of such postings, and indeed welcome any suggestion from
those who learned how to prevent them.

With best regards,

Igor

---------
This message came from the IETF PINT Working Group Mailing List.

---

From: Bob Natale <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 11:36:19 -0500

>At 12/18/98:10:55 AM, you wrote:

Hi Igor,

<...>
>those who learned how to prevent them.

I hate to sound pessimistic and defeatist, but I also participate
in the management of two such lists (AgentX and WinSNMP), and I
have to say that there is little *you* can do about this problem
yourself.  People will make suggestions and you will try to deal
with some of them...it will prove ineffective and you will tire
of wasting the time.  In your case, you can refer the matter to
Lucent security...that is terrific...they will likely be able
to identify the culprit and take retailiatory action...I dearly
hope they do.  I've tried many things over the years...the best
I've got at the moment is to advise individual list members
(numbers count here) to direct offending SPAM messages to
[email-masked], inlcuding FULL headers and a comment of their
own requesting that the FTC take action against the SPAMMERs.

You are doing a great job here in moderating this list
within the scope of the community culture and the technical
purpose...keep up the good work...and good luck!

Cordially,

BobN
------------ ISO 9001 Registered Quality Supplier -----------
Bob Natale         | ACE*COMM              | 301-721-3000 [v]
Dir, Net Mgmt Prod | 704 Quince Orchard Rd | 301-721-3001 [f]
[email-masked]| Gaithersburg MD 20878 | www.acecomm.com
------------- Free downloads at www.winsnmp.com -------------

---------