Subject: Proposed PIN Charter

From: Alec Brusilovsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 16:08:02 -0400

Please see proposed PIN Charter attached here for discussion on the PIN
list.

Regards,
Steve Bellovin
Alec Brusilovsky

******************************
Description of Working Group:

The PSTN/Internet Notification (PIN) WG addresses how services supported
by
IP network entities can be started from PSTN requests, as well as the
connection arrangements through which PSTN (Public Switched Telephone
Network) can request actions to be carried out in the IP-network in
response to events occuring within the PSTN.

The parameters passed in any PIN Service request will, of course, be
limited to information available within the PSTN. Definition of any
information or data within PSTN is the responsibility of the ITU-T and
so
is out of scope of this WG.

An example of such a service is Internet Call Waiting that, on an
incoming
PSTN call, asks IP nodes to carry out some actions.

This working group has the following main objectives:

* Study architecture and protocols needed to support services requested
by PSTN
entities to be carried out by IP network nodes. The protocols must carry
securely PSTN requests to the IP network, and
responses back to the PSTN.

* The target of this working group is to describe building blocks for
PSTN-IP services that start from PSTN requests, and not to standardize
the
PSTN-IP services themselves. Specific services to be considered
initially
are:

 1. Internet Call Waiting
 2. Internet Caller-Id Delivery
 3. Internet Call Forwarding and "Follow Me".

* Produce an Informational RFC that describes current practices for
supporting the services in question.

* Based on the existing practice and agreed on improvements, develop a
Standards Track RFC that specifies a protocol by which PSTN Intelligent
Network Service Nodes (or any other node that implements the Service
Control Function) can request services of IP hosts, and by which status
indications can be returned to the PSTN.

* Consider security issues relating to providing functions of this type.
In
particular understand any threats posed by this technology and address
them, and any other security issues, in the proposed standard.

* Based on the existing practice and agreed on improvements, develop a
standards track RFC for a relevant MIB (PIN MIB) to support the service
management protocol between Internet applications and the PSTN Service
Management System. The MIB is to conform to SNMP standards.

* Consider extensions of the above architecture and protocols to support
a
wider range of PSTN Intelligent Network (IN) and IP based services.

* PIN WG will collaborate with other IETF WG's, working on similar
issues
and having expertise in PSTN/IP interworking (IPTEL, MMUSIC, PINT). PIN
WG
will, also, establish rational cooperation with other relevant standard
bodies (ITU-T SG11).

Description of Working Group:

The PSTN/Internet Notification (PIN) WG addresses how services supported by
IP network entities can be started from PSTN requests, as well as the
connection arrangements through which PSTN (Public Switched Telephone
Network) can request actions to be carried out in the IP-network in
response to events occuring within the PSTN.

The parameters passed in any PIN Service request will, of course, be
limited to information available within the PSTN. Definition of any
information or data within PSTN is the responsibility of the ITU-T and so
is out of scope of this WG.

An example of such a service is Internet Call Waiting that, on an incoming
PSTN call, asks IP nodes to carry out some actions.

This working group has the following main objectives:

* Study architecture and protocols needed to support services requested by PSTN
entities to be carried out by IP network nodes. The protocols must carry securely PSTN requests to the IP network, and
responses back to the PSTN.

* The target of this working group is to describe building blocks for
PSTN-IP services that start from PSTN requests, and not to standardize the
PSTN-IP services themselves. Specific services to be considered initially
are:

 1. Internet Call Waiting
 2. Internet Caller-Id Delivery
 3. Internet Call Forwarding and "Follow Me".

* Produce an Informational RFC that describes current practices for
supporting the services in question.

* Based on the existing practice and agreed on improvements, develop a
Standards Track RFC that specifies a protocol by which PSTN Intelligent
Network Service Nodes (or any other node that implements the Service
Control Function) can request services of IP hosts, and by which status
indications can be returned to the PSTN.

* Consider security issues relating to providing functions of this type. In
particular understand any threats posed by this technology and address
them, and any other security issues, in the proposed standard.

* Based on the existing practice and agreed on improvements, develop a
standards track RFC for a relevant MIB (PIN MIB) to support the service
management protocol between Internet applications and the PSTN Service
Management System. The MIB is to conform to SNMP standards.

* Consider extensions of the above architecture and protocols to support a
wider range of PSTN Intelligent Network (IN) and IP based services.

* PIN WG will collaborate with other IETF WG's, working on similar issues
and having expertise in PSTN/IP interworking (IPTEL, MMUSIC, PINT). PIN WG
will, also, establish rational cooperation with other relevant standard
bodies (ITU-T SG11).