Subject: Re: PINT-Parser, questions & proposuals

From: [email-masked] (Igor Faynberg)
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 18:52:08 -0400

Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:

>
>There is a draft which defines the telephony URL:
>
>http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-antti-telephony-url-08.txt
>
>We wanted SIP to just reference this for the BNF for
>telephone-subscriber, but we could not, since it was a draft, and would
>have been a normative reference. So, we were forced to copy the BNF into
>RFC2543.

Jonathan,

Many thanks for the information. One question: Do you know whether this
draft is on the standards track somewhere now? In other words, if the group
felt that the 'tel:' URL be used in PINT, would we need to wait for something
to happen elsewhere or consider doing it in PINT right now?

I would invite opinions from others at this point, too. Perhaps I could state
mine for what it is worth, too: I think that the telephony URL is an elegant
thing, which would end up standardized sooner or later, anyway. But then
we do presently specify telephone numbers in SDP, and I thought that
was sufficient for the nearest future; however, if there is a consensus that
1) telephony URLs are need in PINT immediately and 2) no other group is
doing them, I personally would support doing this here and now.

Igor

---------
This message came from the IETF PINT Working Group Mailing List.

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 22:03:15 -0400

> to happen elsewhere or consider doing it in PINT right now?

I don't know the status of this draft. I hope that it goes to proposed
RFC sometime
soon. There is definitely a need for a phone URL.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       Lucent Technologies
Member of Technical Staff                   101 Crawfords Corner Rd.
High Speed Networks Research                Holmdel, NJ 07733
FAX: (732) 834-5379                         Rm. 4C-526
EMAIL: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen

---------

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 02:20:30 -0400

> doing them, I personally would support doing this here and now.

One possible course of action might be to ask the AD and the I-D author
whether to make the tel: I-D a PINT work item and then immediately call
for a WG last call, as the draft seems to have undergone a lot of
informal review, judging from the time it has been around and the
version number. This might accelerate the process. PINT is more likely
than MMUSIC to have the right kind of people on its mailing list to
provide technical review.

Another possibility, less desirable, is the SIP approach of copying the
material at least in spirit, in the hope that it can be removed from the
draft (and replaced by a reference) as the PINT spec progresses.

As a point of reference, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/sip/related.html has
a fair amount of PINT/SIP-related drafts and specs.

---------

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 02:20:30 -0400

> 1) telephony URLs are need in PINT immediately aX-Mozilla-Status: 0009s

---------