Subject: RE: Questions.1A?

From: [email-masked] (Lawrence Conroy)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 12:50:01 +0100

At 2:31 pm 30/8/99, Slutsman, Lev A, ALSVC wrote:
>Dear Team,
>In absence of SUB/NOT, would the PINT profile be compliant with the core
>SIP?
>Regards, Lev
>
To which I reply - I ASSUME that you're talking only about Re-Invites and
BYE in PINT, not the rest of the extensions, in which case the answer is:
yes-ish.

The reaction of a PINT Gateway on receiving a BYE may be to reject the
request. The protocol behaviour is the same (I beliveve that any SIP server
MAY reject any request), so the answer is yes.
I'm not sure this behaviour is expected by "normal" SIP systems, however,
so you might say that in practice this might confuse some implementations.

Again, from a protocol perspective, rejecting a Re-Invite is OK for the
same reasons, but I'm not completely sure how an intervening SIP proxy will
treat it, hence the question.

Are any SIPpers able to confirm whether or not, on receipt of a rejection
of a Re-Invite by a recipient, the behaviour is to close the current SIP
call leg, not just rejecting the (higher CSeq) proposed change?

All the best, Lawrence
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Lawrence Conroy,    | "These Opinions must be mine, 'cos if they    |
| Roke Manor Research |  were my Company's they'd charge you for them"|
|- [email-masked]  ---+- Tel: +44 1794 833666  Fax: +44 1794 833434 --|

---------
This message came from the IETF PINT Working Group Mailing List.

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 10:00:35 -0400

> treat it, hence the question.

Normally, a proxy wouldn't be maintaining call state, so it doesn't care
whether the request was rejected or not.

> call leg, not just rejecting the (higher CSeq) proposed change?

Again, the proxy won't normally care. In normal SIP, a UAC that sends a
re-INVITE, and has it rejected, DOES NOT consider the call leg down.
Only that specific transaction has failed, which means the call is still
up, but with the old session parameters.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       Lucent Technologies
Member of Technical Staff                   101 Crawfords Corner Rd.
High Speed Networks Research                Holmdel, NJ 07733
FAX:   (732) 834-5379                       Rm. 4C-526
EMAIL: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen

---------