Subject: [PINT] NOTICE: Stripping attachments from list mail.

From: Shaun Erickson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 11:10:07 -0400

Recently, a member of one of the mailing lists had their system infected
with a virus, which was then sent to the list server and dutifully
resent out to hundreds of people on one of the lists.

To help prevent such an occurence in the future, I have begun stripping
certain attachments out of mail sent to the lists. In the place of the
attachment, there will be a notice that the file was stripped from the
mail, and why.

File attachments with the following extensions will be automatically
stripped from all mail sent to lists distributed from this server:

	exe, vbs, lnk, pif, wsh, wse, jscript, kix, shs & msi

Because they are deemed important to the proper running of some of the
lists, Microsoft Word (.doc) and Microsoft Powerpoint (.ppt) files will
continue to be allowed as attachments, along with anything else not
covered by the above list of file extensions being disallowed.

Please send any questions, concerns, or comments regarding this policy,
to:

	[email-masked]

Your Friendly List Admin,

	-ste (Shaun Erickson, [email-masked])

_______________________________________________
PINT mailing list
[email-masked]
http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/pint

---

From: Igor Faynberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 14:19:13 -0400

Shaun,

Many thanks for the information. I believe you have made the right decision.
Furthermore, for all IETF lists (PINT, SIN, SPIRITS, IPTEL) you may and should
disallow even .doc and .ppt attachments. Those who post to these lists must
follow the IETF-required practice of putting documents on their own sites and
sending only pointers via the exploders. To summarise, only text files should be
admitted to the IETF lists.

Please also feel free to impose a reasonable limit on the size of the
IETF-related e-mail messages. 

Igor

Shaun Erickson wrote:
> IETF-PIN mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://lists.bell-labs.com/mailman/listinfo/ietf-pin

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 14:56:53 -0400

> IETF-related e-mail messages.

Actually, those probably shouldn't be sent at all to an open-standards
list, as they are proprietary formats that are difficult for a
significant fraction (i.e., those not using Microsoft operating systems)
to read and are themselves likely to contain viruses.

-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs