Subject: CFP: 1999 Network & Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS '99)

From: "David M. Balenson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 08:52:07 -0400

C  A  L  L       F  O  R       P  A  P  E  R  S

			  The Internet Society
	1999 Network and Distributed System Security Symposium
			       (NDSS'99)

Where: Catamaran Resort, San Diego, California
When: February 3-5, 1999

GOAL: The symposium will foster information exchange among hardware and
  software developers of network and distributed system security
  services.  The intended audience includes those who are interested in
  the practical aspects of network and distributed system security,
  focusing on actual system design and implementation, rather than
  theory.  A major goal of the symposium is to encourage and enable the
  Internet community to apply, deploy, and advance the state of
  available security technology.  The proceedings of the symposium will
  be published by the Internet Society.

  Topics for the symposium include, but are not limited to, the
  following:

* Security in malleable systems: mobile code, mobile agents, active
  networks, dynamic policy updates, etc.
* Special problems: e.g. interplay between security goals and other
  goals such as efficiency, usability, reliability, interoperability,
  resource sharing, and cost.
* Integrating security services with system and application security
  facilities and with application protocols, including message handling,
  file transport, remote file access,  directories, time synchronization,
  data base management, routing, voice and video multicast, network
  management, boot services, and mobile computing.
* Fundamental services:  authentication, integrity, confidentiality,
  authorization, non-repudiation, and availability.
* Supporting mechanisms and APIs: key management and certification
  infrastructures, audit, and intrusion detection.
* Telecommunications security, especially for emerging technologies --
  very large systems, e.g., the Internet, high-speed systems, e.g., the
  gigabit testbeds, wireless systems, personal communication systems,
  and large-scale, heterogeneous distributed systems.

* Controls: firewalls, packet filters, application gateways
* Object security and security objects
* Network information resources and tools such as World Wide Web (WWW),
  Gopher, archie, and WAIS.
* Electronic commerce: payment services, fee-for-access, EDI, notary
  services; endorsement, licensing, bonding, and other forms of
  assurance; rights management and other forms of intellectual property
  protection
* Implementation and management of network security policy 
* Security for voice over IP
* Security for routing

GENERAL CHAIR:
  Stephen Welke, Trusted Computer Solutions

PROGRAM CHAIRS:
  Stephen Kent, BBN Technologies
  Gene Tsudik, USC/Information Sciences Institute

TUTORIAL CHAIR:
  Doug Maughan, National Security Agency

PROGRAM COMMITTEE:
  David Balenson, TIS Labs at Network Associates
  Steve Bellovin, AT&T Labs -- Research
  Matt Bishop, University of California at Davis
  Bob Blakley, IBM
  Doug Engert, Argonne National Laboratories
  Warwick Ford, VeriSign
  Li Gong, Sun Microsystems
  Rich Graveman, Bellcore
  Ari Juels, RSA Laboratories
  Tom Longstaff, CERT
  Doug Maughan, National Security Agency
  Dan Nessett, 3Com Corporation
  Michael Roe, Cambridge University
  Jeffrey Schiller, MIT
  Wolfgang Schneider, GMD Darmstadt
  Christoph Schuba, Purdue University
  Win Treese, Open Market
  Jonathan Trostle, Cisco

LOCAL ARRANGEMENTS CHAIR:
  Thomas Hutton, San Diego Supercomputer Center

PUBLICATIONS CHAIR:
  John Kochmar, SEI

PUBLICITY CHAIR:
  David Balenson, TIS Labs at Network Associates

LOGISTICS CHAIR:
  Carla Rosenfeld, Internet Society

REGISTRATIONS CHAIR
  Beth Strait, Internet Society

SUBMISSIONS: The committee invites technical papers and panel proposals,
  for topics of technical and general interest.  Technical papers should
  be 10-20 pages in length.  Panel proposals should be two pages and
  should describe the topic, identify the panel chair, explain the
  format of the panel, and list three to four potential panelists.
  Technical papers will appear in the proceedings.  A description of
  each panel will appear in the proceedings, and may at the discretion
  of the panel chair, include written position statements from each
  panelist.

  Each submission must contain a separate title page with the type of
  submission (paper or panel), the title or topic, the names of the
  author(s), organizational affiliation(s), telephone and FAX numbers,
  postal addresses, Internet electronic mail addresses, and must list a
  single point of contact if more than one author.  The names of authors,
  affiliations, and other identifying information should appear only on
  the separate title page.

  Submissions must be received by 31 July 1998, and must be made via
  electronic mail in either PostScript or ASCII format.  If the
  committee is unable to print a PostScript submission, it will be
  returned and hardcopy requested.  Therefore, PostScript submissions
  must arrive well before 31 July.

  All submissions and program related correspondence (only) should be
  directed to the program chair:  
	Stephen Kent
	c/o BBN Technologies
	70 Fawcett Street
	Cambridge, Mass. 02138
	Email:[email-masked]
	Phone: +1 (617) 873-1996
	FAX: +1 (617) 873-4086

  Dates, final call for papers, advance program, and registration
  information will be available at the URL: http://www.isoc.org/ndss99.

  Each submission will be acknowledged by e-mail.  If acknowledgment is
  not received within seven days, please contact the program chair as
  indicated above.  Authors and panelists will be notified of acceptance
  by 18 September 1998.  Instructions for preparing camera-ready copy
  for the proceedings will be sent at that time.  The camera-ready copy
  must be received by 16 October 1998.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
David M. Balenson, Publicity Chair, NDSS '99
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.
3060 Washington Road, Glenwood, MD 21738  USA
[email-masked]; 301-854-5358; fax 301-854-5363