Subject: RE: email oid

From: "Wang, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 09:17:15 -0500

It was my understanding that the RSA-pkcs-9 email address OID
(1.2.840.113549.1.9.1) was the more commonly used OID. I don't
think you can remove the RSA oid but perhaps add the RFC1274 oid
if there is a demand for it.

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Klerer [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, October 29, 1998 8:19 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: email oid

The other day in trying to accommodate a legacy pki, I ran into a problem
with an oid specified in draft-ietf-pkix-ipki-part1-11.  The ASN.1 specifies
that the oid used for an email address in the distinguished name is
1.2.840.113549.1.9.1, which refers to a RSA-pkcs-9 email address.  I and
others have been using 0.9.2342.19200300.100.1.3 which is for internet mail
as specified in RFC1274.

Since I believe that the intention is for both of these oids are meant to
represent attributes that hold the same information, this discrepancy may
cause confusion and failures in the future.  My suggestion would be to
change part1 to refer to the more commonly used OID.