Subject: Re: email oid

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 05:58:26 (NZDT)

David Wilson <[email-masked]> writes:
 
>>There are currently at least three different locations for specifying the
>>email address:
>>
>>  altName.rfc822Name (the correct one which noone actually uses)
>>  emailAddress (officially deprecated, but everyone uses it anyway)
>>  rfc822Mailbox (oddball location which virtually noone uses.  A free bilabial
>>        fricative to anyone who can explain the origin of the rfc822Mailbox
>>        OID without referring the question to one of the RFC's authors.
>>        Answers on the back of a postcard to ...  I'll post the explanation in
>>        a week or so if anyone cares)
 
>I do not know of any standard X.500 schema that defines an attribute called
>altName.rfc822Name. Is there a schema which defines an X.500 attribute which
>uses the GeneralName ASN.1 syntax?
 
I meant the rfc822Name component of the subject/issuerAltName GeneralName.
PKIX requires that the email address be stored there instead of the various
places in which legacy implementations put it (that's PKIX part 1's words, not
mine :-).
 
>Since the much of the early work of this was done University College, London,
>the OIDs allocated to this were under the UCL arc. This is allocated according
>to a scheme based on IPSS X.25 addresses. The 2342 is the DNIC for the U.K.,
>and 234219200300 is the IPSS address for UCL.
 
Congratulations, you win the PKIX trivia quiz.  Would you like your fricative
emailed or via FTP?
 
Peter.