Subject: Re: Problem with PKIX part 1 basicConstraints

From: "Aram Perez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 08:58:04 -0800

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the URL. I had previously found it, but like I said it was "very
hard". My questions to Verisign are:

1) Why isn't there a link to the URL on your home page?
2) There are only 4 certificates listed on the page but IE lists 8 Verisign
certificates and Navigotor lists 6 Verisign certificates. Where are the
fingerprints for those "extra" certificates?

Regards,
Aram

P.S. Please say hello to Hoa Ly (I believe she still works for Verisign).

>> I also find it ironic that it is
>> very hard to find out Verisign's fingerprints from their Web site. 
>
>See https://www.verisign.com/repository/root.html fingerprints of
>VeriSign's root certificates.
>
>Alex

---

From: Alex Deacon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 09:19:12 -0800

> 1) Why isn't there a link to the URL on your home page?

I agree that it is not easy to find.  I'll forward this issue to our web
people.

> fingerprints for those "extra" certificates?

The rest of the CA certs you see are subordinate CA's signed by the one
of the VeriSign roots.  Applications should determine the
trustworthyness of these subordinate CA certs by "walking the chain" and
validating signatures up to one of these trusted root certs.   

Alex

---

From: Michael Fritscher <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 21:23:46 +0100

> Aram Perez wrote:
...
> validating signatures up to one of these trusted root certs.

When I look at Netscape, this point is true for only one CA certificate of
Verisign. The others whoose Fingerprints are not on Verisign Website are also
self-signed certificates (as the "Class 4 Public Primary Certification
Authority" or the "Commercial Certification Authority").

Michael

--
-----------------------------------------------------------
| Michael Fritscher
| Department of Management Information Systems
| Vienna University of Economics And Business Administration
| mailto:[email-masked]
| http://wwwi.wu-wien.ac.at/finanz/
| "An APPLE a day keeps WINDOWS.95 away..."
------------------------------------------------------------