Subject: How are Naming Domains identified?

From: "Anders Rundgren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 09:48:41 -0000

Hi,
I would like to get some feedback on how naming domains are identified. 
Let's say that a DN is "CN=John Doe; SN=1234".   IMO that DN  (hopefully) expresses
an unmistakable identity witin a certain naming domain but nothing prevent a CA supporting
another naming domain to use the same DN for the same or another entity.

Background: Extract from a rather heated discussion regarding serialNumbers etc:

>>Anders wrote:

>>What is missing from the current suggestion is a Naming Domain definition.
>>I can just find two variants: Either the naming domain is marked as internal/CA
>>and does not have to be known outside, or the CA issues certificates to
>>an external naming domain like "registered Citizen of XYZ". The latter should
>>require an officially registered value of some kind to be interoperable among
>>competing CAs,

>Steve wrote:

>I think that your suggestion for a name domain definition is further evidence that the 
>identifiers that you are referring to are not really DNs!

Anders