Subject: Re: Time-stamping: IETF / ISO

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 22:08:59 -0500

Would it be reasonable to suggest that ISO include the mechanism
identifiers in their ASN.1 definitions and specify them with default values
indicating the IETF standard mechanisms?  This would enable any use of the
IETF definition to interoperate with the ISO definition, without damaging
Roland's proposed definition in any way.
     In any case, I am reasonably sure that no alien race is likely to use
BER or DER with a definition compatible with ours down to the assigned
tags, so interoperation with them will not be affected by the presence or
absence of mechanism identifiers.

          Tom Gindin

---

From: Roland Mueller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 15:16:52 -0600

This is a good idea and I apologize for not thinking of that. We will
set it up this way that the IETF mechanism is the default mechanism and
thus having away to add mechanisms if required.

Roland