Subject: QC++ BOF suggestion

From: "Anders Rundgren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 10:23:03 -0000

In spite of the delayed QC draft, Qualified Certificates are in production since quite a while. 

I wonder if there is any sentiment for starting a new QC++ work that is targeted
at future QCs?

Why?
Well, as I hope that has shined through my frequent postings I do not believe that
a draft that contains a huge number of loose ends is suitable for MECHANICAL
digestion by RPs.   The certificate comparision section telling that it must
be performed with "care" is a very notable example of that. 

A prime goal of QC++ is that you must be able to compare certificates and that
different DN components may be assigned precedence in a way that is a de-facto
standard.  QC++ supports these rules within the certificate itself.

QC-03's optional private CP OIDs and QC statements cannot be added to an
existing customer base so they really just makes the process even harder.  I.e. is 
there an CP OID in the cert and if it is not, is that an error etc. etc.

The main target for QC++ are public PKIs and commercial TTPs, but long-term all
QC-issuers will gain from the software framwork that will support this.

Anders Rundgren