Subject: Re: Straw Poll: SerialNumber definition

From: "Anders Rundgren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 08:55:10 -0000

Steve,

<snip>

>Finally, Anders, this does nothing to address your more recent desire to impose the
>concept of a naming domain on DNs. Since DNs exist in the context of a DIT, which
>establishes naming domains via hierarchic refinement (the same way the DNS does), 
> suspect that what you are asking for here is not consistent with the use of a DN anyway. 
>Maybe we're back at the "have your cake and eat it too" stage for this issue.

>Steve

In the X500-world DNs exist in the context of a DIT.  However, most PKIs are
X500-compliant only with respect to certificate format .   Also I doubt that many X500-
compliant systems use certificates without fully qualified DNs.  I.e. my request
probably matches >90% of all certificates.  That figure justifies some kind of support.
Now I'll go back a continue eating that cake.  It tastes fine!

Anders

---

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 11:17:48 -0500

Anders,

What part of my comments re the context in which this WG operates 
were unclear to you?  I already pointed out that we have, in 
producing 2459, been willing to disparage common practice wrt misuse 
of DNs.

Steve