Subject: OCSP, historical answers

From: Simon Tardell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 09:47:03 +0100

Ambarish,

> Hi Paul,
>     Just one correction - OCSP can tell you of the historical
> status of a cert - there is an ArchiveCutoff mechanism. If your
> cert expired after ArchiveCutoff, then the status is as indicated
> in the response.

Yes, but what about a certificate that was put on-hold for a certain period
but then made valid again? There are of course ways to solve this using
timestamping, but it seems like an omission that neither OCSP nor CRLs have
a mechanism for giving a full account of the revocation history of a
certificate. 

Simon.

Simon Tardell, Software Architect, iD2 Technologies
[email-masked], http://www.iD2tech.com/
voice +46 8 7755225, cell +46 70 3198319, fax +46 8 7267912
European IT-prize grand winners 1998 -- http://www.it-prize.org
AU-System Group Swedish IT-company of the year 1999