Subject: RE: OCSP and XML

From: Renato Portela <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 17:31:26 +0100

The idea is not have more protocols but have a transition from ASN.1 to XML.

Work with XML is much simpler. Exists parsers everywhere and for almost
every language, is interoperable and finally is human readable.

You don't prefer XML to ASN.1?

Renato

-----Original Message-----
From: Denis Pinkas [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2000 3:29 PM
To: Renato Portela
Cc: [email-masked]'
Subject: Re: OCSP and XML

> The syntax of SCVP is being specified with XML.

 ... and ASN.1.

At this time, there is no decision to support SCVP or an equivalent,
as well as no decision to have XML in addition to ASN.1.

> Is any chance do the same to OCSP?

I hope there is not such a "chance". We already have too many
protocols for the same purpose.

:-)

Denis

> Thanks
> Renato Portela

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 13:51:37 -0400

>You don't prefer XML to ASN.1?

You first get PKCS#7 and S/MIME to switch away from ASN.1 to XML. Then we 
will talk about doing it in PKIX....

Robert Moskowitz
ICSA
Security Interest EMail: [email-masked]

---

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 16:11:04 -0700

At 1:51 PM -0400 8/10/00, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>You first get PKCS#7 and S/MIME to switch away from ASN.1 to XML. 
>Then we will talk about doing it in PKIX....

Bob, could you explain this a bit? Using XML as a message format for 
SCVP is completely unrelated to PKCS#7. It is a method for bundling 
the parts of the query about a certificate, and for bundling the 
parts of the answer. Why should that be tied to an unrelated protocol?

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium