Subject: Company OIDs for free for PIs?

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 10:13:57 -0400

I have often thought about how little companies can get OIDs for 
free.  After all, a few thousand bills for a small company can be a lot of 
money...

What I have seen is every company can have an EDI identifier.  X.435 
(EDIFACT) has defined over 300 EDI identifier namespaces (DUNS being the 
most common, supposedly).

I **THINK** this is the EDIFACT UNB IdentificationCode

X.435 has its own arc:  2.6.7.11

If we can get the EDI arc registered this way (probably is and only 
documented in X.435), the PRESTO!  Any company that has an EDI  identifier 
has an OID arc.

Can anyone fill in the missing parts of this and then perhaps Denis can add 
this as a recommendation for company PIs.

Robert Moskowitz
ICSA
Security Interest EMail: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 15:04:10 -0400

IANA even publishes their OID assignments at that location, which
neutralizes the major advantage of using a URI of the approximate format
http://domain/EmployeeAssignments?DateOfFirstUse.  In view of that, that
alternative is no longer necessary, although I'm sorry to have missed the
meeting in Pittsburgh.
     The application form for new assignments in IANA's OID list is at IANA
proper: http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/enterprise.pl.  My only remaining
question is whether IANA will continue to provide a free service if every
company with > 100 employees asks for this.  I suppose they could charge a
SMALL fee instead.

               Tom Gindin

"David P. Kemp" <[email-masked]> on 08/01/2000 12:33:32 PM

Please respond to "David P. Kemp" <[email-masked]>

To:   [email-masked]
cc:
Subject:  Re: Company OIDs for free for PIs?

Bob,

Have you considered using Private Enterprise codes
(http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/enterprise-numbers)?

True, the arc 2.6.7.11 is a little shorter than the IETF's 1.3.6.1.4.1,
but that shouldn't be a big deal.  They're both free.

Dave

> Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 10:13:57 -0400
> To: [email-masked]
> From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Company OIDs for free for PIs?
>
*****************************************************************************

> This confirms that this email message has been swept by
> MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.
>
******************************************************************************