Subject: Use of the IDEA Encryption Algorithm in CMS

From: Maxim Masiutin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 16:40:46 +0200

Dear authors of "Use of the IDEA Encryption Algorithm in CMS" draft!

I have a question about following paragraph in
draft-ietf-smime-idea-07.txt:

-----------
If IV is specified as above, it MUST be used as initial vector. In
this case, the ciphertext MUST NOT include the initial vector. If
IV is not specified, the first 64 bits of the ciphertext MUST be
considered as the initial vector. However, this alternative of not
including the IV SHOULD NOT be applied in CMS or S/MIME.
-----------

  The last sentence:

"this alternative of not including the IV [into "iv OCTET STRING" of
IDEA-CBCPar|into the first 64 bits of the ciphertext] SHOULD NOT be
applied in CMS or S/MIME.

Could you please expand this sentence by adding one of the short
explanations that I've proposed?

I do also have a question about the following paragraph:

------------
The SMIMECapability SEQUENCE representing the IDEA symmetric
encryption algorithm MUST include the IDEA-CBC OID in the capabilityID
field and the parameters field MUST be absent. The SMIMECapability
SEQUENCE for IDEA encryption SHOULD be included in the symmetric
encryption algorithms portion of the SMIMECapabilities list. The
SMIMECapability SEQUENCE representing IDEA MUST be DER-encoded as
follows: 300D 060B 2B06 0104 0181 3C07 0101 02.
------------

  Why don't you give ASN.1 notation of SMIMECapability SEQUENCE
  representing IDEA as well as DER-encoded value? Please add ASN.1
  notation to the draft. Also, please clarify the byte order.

  And a test sample of CMS-message with IDEA will help me a lot!

  Thank you in advance.

-- 
Maxim Masiutin,
Software Engineer
RIT Research Labs  http://www.ritlabs.com/

---

From: "Teiwes, Stephan (iT_SEC)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 16:52:21 +0200

Dear Mr. Masuitin,

thanks a lot. We'll consider your comments and try to improve the draft
accordingly.

*Stephan Teiwes
iT_Security AG
www.it-sec.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Maxim Masiutin [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Montag, 23. Oktober 2000 16:41
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Use of the IDEA Encryption Algorithm in CMS

-----------

  The last sentence:

------------

  Thank you in advance.