Subject: RE: ASN.1 DER parser/compiler

From: "Pawling, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 14:45:27 -0500

Jonathan wrote: 
"	* snacc - freeware ASN.1 to C/C++ compiler
http://www.idiom.com/free-compilers/TOOL/ASN1-1.html - I believe this only
deals with BER rather than DER compilation".

We have enhanced the SNACC freeware to support DER.  Please see the attached
message for more information.

===========================================
John Pawling, [email-masked]
Getronics Government Solutions, LLC
===========================================

Subject: v1.3 R5 Enhanced SNACC ASN.1 Freeware
From: "Pawling, John" <[email-masked]>
To: "Pawling, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 16:27:07 -0500

All,

Getronics Government Solutions has delivered the v1.3 R5 Enhanced SNACC
Abstract Syntax Notation.1 (ASN.1) Compiler, C++ library and C library
source code compilable for Linux, Sun Solaris 2.7 and Microsoft Windows
NT/95/98/2000.  The source code and the Enhanced SNACC Software Public
License are freely available to everyone from:
<http://www.getronicsgov.com/hot/snacc_home.htm>

In past releases, Getronics enhanced the SNACC library to implement the
Distinguished Encoding Rules (DER).  In the v1.3 R5 SNACC release, Getronics
included the following enhancements:

1) Resolved compiler warnings.

2) Enhanced C++ library encode/decode performance.

3) Converted all source code to use CVS configuration management system.

4) Update SNACC readme file. 

5) Tested with v1.9 S/MIME Freeware Library (SFL)
<http://www.getronicsgov.com/hot/sfl_home.htm>
 that uses SNACC to implement the IETF S/MIME v3 set of specifications.  

6) Tested with freeware v1.9 Certificate Management Library (CML)
<http://www.getronicsgov.com/hot/cml_home.htm> that
uses SNACC to implement the 2000 X.509 Recommendation and RFC 2459.  

7) Tested with freeware v1.5 Access Control Library (ACL)
<http://www.getronicsgov.com/hot/acl_home.htm> that uses SNACC to provide
automated access control.  

SNACC implements the majority of ASN.1 encoding/decoding rules.  SNACC does
not support all of
the latest ASN.1 features, but there are work-arounds that allow SNACC to be
used to produce ASN.1 hex encodings that are identical to those produced by
ASN.1 libraries that do support the latest ASN.1 features.  Also note that
many of the PKIX specs, such as RFC 2459, include 1988-compliant ASN.1
syntax modules which can be compiled using SNACC.

The SNACC ASN.1 library is totally unencumbered as stated in the Enhanced
SNACC Software Public License.  All source code for the Enhanced SNACC
software is being provided at no cost and with no financial limitations
regarding its use and distribution.  Organizations can use the Enhanced
SNACC software without paying any royalties or licensing fees.  

The Internet Mail Consortium (IMC) has established a SNACC web page
<http://www.imc.org/imc-snacc/>.  The IMC has also established a SNACC mail
list which is used to: distribute information regarding SNACC releases;
discuss SNACC-related issues; and provide a means for SNACC users to provide
feedback, comments, bug reports, etc.  Subscription information for the
imc-snacc mail list is at the IMC web site listed above.

We welcome all feedback regarding the Enhanced SNACC software.  If bugs are
reported, then we will investigate each reported bug and, if required, will
produce a patch or an updated release of the software to repair the bug. 

This SNACC release announcement was sent to several mail lists, but please
send all messages regarding the Enhanced SNACC software to the imc-snacc
mail list ONLY.  Please do not send messages regarding the Enhanced SNACC
software to any of the IETF mail lists.  We will respond to all messages
sent to the imc-snacc mail list.

===========================================
John Pawling, [email-masked]
Getronics Government Solutions, LLC
===========================================