Subject: Attribute certificate tagging discrepancy?

From: Dr S N Henson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 19:19:44 +0000

There appears to be a discrepancy between the tagging used for attribute
certificates in X509v3, X509 4th edition (draft 7) and the current PKIX
draft draft-ietf-pkix-ac509prof-06.txt.

The X509v3 attribute certficate ASN1 module does not change the default
tagging which is EXPLICIT.

The current PKIX draft has

     DEFINITIONS EXPLICIT TAGS ::=

in Appendix B.

However the X509 4th edition V7 draft,  Annex A seems to specify
IMPLICIT tagging as the module default.

Steve.
-- 
Dr Stephen N. Henson.   http://www.drh-consultancy.demon.co.uk/
Personal Email: [email-masked] 
Senior crypto engineer, Celo Communications: http://www.celocom.com/
Core developer of the   OpenSSL project: http://www.openssl.org/
Business Email: [email-masked] PGP key: via homepage.