Subject: revised meeting minutes

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 15:21:33 -0400

PKIX WG Meeting 8/6/01
Edited by Steve Kent (WG co-chairs)

The PKIX WG met once during the 51st IETF. A total of approximately 153
individuals participated in the meeting.

Tim quickly reviewed the agenda and document status, noting that there are many
I-Ds in progress. (see slides)

Two new RFCs in the editor's queue:
	RFC 3161	Timestamp Protocol
	RFC xxxx	Attribute Certificate Profile

In the IESG Review Process:
	PKIX Certificate and CRL Profile (a.k.a., son-of-2459)
	Public Key Algorithms and Identifiers for the PKIX Certificate profile

Soon to be Submitted to IESG:
	PKIX Roadmap
	Repository Locator Service

In WG Last Call:
	none

Close to WG last call:
	Certificate Management Protocol (RFC 2510bis)
	Certificate Request Message Framework (RFC 2511bis)
	Transport Protocols for CMP
	Online Certificate Status Protocol (OCSP v2)

New Work:

Logotype Certificates - Stefan Santesson (AddTrust)
	Notion is to embed references to logos in certificates, for
CAs or for EEs,  to allow display of the logo as part of certificate
processing. Argument is that people relate to logos in the physical
world, and don't display certificate contents, so this is a way to
bring branding into PKIs. Major concern is that people could be
mislead by certificates issued by a CA that binds inappropriate logos
to certificates it issues, e.g., there is no way to constrain logo
references the same way we can constrain names. Proposal is to create
a new extension for carrying a pointer (URL) to the logo image, an
indication of the image type, and a hash of the image. (see slides)

Supplemental Algorithms - Ari Singer (NTRU)
	New work item, to contain specs for a set of algorithms that
COULD be used with PKIX data structures. Support for these algorithms
is not mandated, but this document will provide a reference for these
supplemental algorithms. Note need to include appropriate
intellectual property warnings for proprietary algorithms, and to
distinguish between algorithms that are standards, vs, proprietary.
(see slides)

PKI Disaster Recovery - Denis Pinkas (Integris)
	The goal of this new work is to create an informational RFC
which addresses how to deal with compromise or loss of use of a CA,
AA, or TSA key. Different requirements arise for EE signature keys
vs. EE encryption keys, and these are addressed separately. (see
slides)

Using DNS for PKI Support- Simon Josephson (RSA)
	ID published as a personal draft. Focuses on using DNS to
hold certificates and CRLs. Works especially well for S/MINE, given
typical DNS lookup re MX records. Question is whether PKIX should
adopt this as a work item? Will discuss this on the list. (no slides)

Ongoing Work:

LDAP V3 Profile and Certificate Matching Rules - David Chadwick (Univ
of Salford)
	Profile going well, looking for feedback before publishing as
RFC. Matching rules work not as far along, but implementation work
now funded at Salford, which will help progress.

CMC Update - Jim Schaad (Soaring Hawk Consulting)
	Core functions largely unchanged, e.g., ASN syntax and
processing rules will be static. New set of CMC documents being
issued, breaking into multiple pieces to allow easier progression of
pieces, e.g., S/MIME makes use of CMC for symmetric key distribution,
compliance document. VeriSign hosted interoperability testing covering
a large number of protocol features. Several issues were uncovered during
testing. (see slides)

CMP Update - Carlisle Adams (Entrust)
	Interoperability testing yielded clarifications and the
document is now ready to go to Draft Standard status.

Proxy Certificates - Steven Tuecke (Argonne Labs)
	Revised ID has been published. Related draft in TLS WG. Not
many attendees have read this draft, according to a show of hands.
Because it requires changes to certificate path validation, there is
a significant question about whether these changes should be part of
the base standards, or if this processing is a separate step to be
performed after standard path validation processing. (see slides)

OCSPv2 - Michael Myers (VeriSign)
	Authors have decided to publish as experimental for now. This 
includes the OCSPv2 draft, the DPD with OCSP draft, and the DPV 
draft. (no slides)

SCVP - Ambarish Malpani (ValiCert)
	There were two significant changes to the draft: only ASN.1 
syntax is employed and signatures are based on the CMS format. (no 
slides)

DPD/DPV - Denis Pinkas (Integris)
	New ID posed to list. Incorporate new approach to DPV/DPD,
using 3 protocols: DPV, DPD, and a separate protocol for management
of policy data used for validation or discovery. This allows the DPD
and DPV protocols to be smaller and simpler, because the management
of parameters used for DPD/DPV is part of a separate protocol. The
management protocol might not be implemented on many clients, e.g.,
thin clients. References to the parameters (policy) used for
validation are OIDs, and there is a provision for a client to NOT
specify a policy, but have a server employ a default policy and
return that to the user. Extensive use of hashes of ancillary values
to keep messages brief, but allow checking by client. DPV proposal
allows for validation re current time, or past time (re-validation).
DPV can return four answers, reflecting level of knowledge available
to the server, especially with regard to revocation data. DPD and
management protocol also presented in detail. (see slides)

Policy Requirements for Timestamping  Authorities- Denis Pinkas (Integris)
	Discussion of this ETSI document and solicitation of
comments. (see slides)