Subject: draft-ietf-pkix-ac509prof-09 ASN.1 "IMPLICIT"

From: Hideyuki Odahara <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 14:23:53 +0900

I've read the draft-ietf-pkix-ac509prof-09 and 
the draft-ietf-pkix-ac509prof-06.
And I found the difference about ASN.1 Notation.
It was "IMPLICIT".

draft-ietf-pkix-ac509prof-09 wrote:
------------------------------------
Appendix B: ASN.1 Module

 PKIXAttributeCertificate {iso(1) identified-organization(3) dod(6)
              internet(1) security(5) mechanisms(5) pkix(7) id-mod(0)
              id-mod-attribute-cert(12)}

    DEFINITIONS IMPLICIT TAGS ::=
                ^^^^^^^^
    BEGIN

    -- EXPORTS ALL --
-------------------------------------

draft-ietf-pkix-ac509prof-06 wrote:
-------------------------------------
Appendix B: ASN.1 Module

 PKIXAttributeCertificate {iso(1) identified-organization(3) dod(6)
              internet(1) security(5) mechanisms(5) pkix(7) id-mod(0)
              id-mod-attribute-cert(12)}

    DEFINITIONS EXPLICIT TAGS ::=
                ^^^^^^^^
    BEGIN

    -- EXPORTS ALL --
-------------------------------------

Why did "EXPLICIT" change to "IMPLICIT".
There is no reason and no description about
chainging at Appendix C:Change History.

Please tell me.

regards

----------
  Hideyuki Odahara ： [email-masked]

---

From: Olivier DUBUISSON <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 11:09:22 +0200

> draft-ietf-pkix-ac509prof-09 wrote:

I remember Phil Griffin pointing this mistake (at least to me) some months
ago. I'm not involved in the history of PKIX, but to me, the biggest mistake
above is to keep the same OID for two modules that are not compatible as
far as encoding goes.
-- 
Olivier DUBUISSON
france telecom R&D
     _                 DTL/MSV - 22307 Lannion Cedex - France
    ( )           tel: +33 2 96 05 38 50 - fax: +33 2 96 05 39 45
    /.\/               --------------------------------------
    \_/\               Site ASN.1 : http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/

---

From: "Housley, Russ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 18:05:33 -0400

I am not sure whether the reponse was posted to this query or not.  Please 
excuse the redundancy if it has already been answered.

The change was made to align with the ITU-T/ISO document.  The PKIX 
document was EXPLICT, and the ITU-T/ISO one was IMPLICIT.  Clearly, they 
should have been the same from the start.

The module OID was not changed because the error only existed in 
Internet-Draft documents.  One should expect changes to such documents.

Russ