Subject: proposed change inthe charter

From: "todd glassey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 09:30:26 -0800

Hi All - I want to amend the charter so that it has some more accountability
in it and talks about adding value to work efforts here.

Here is the updated text without the Draft/RFC Hyperlinks

-------------------------------------------:

Description of Working Group:
The PKIX Working Group was established in the Fall of 1995 with the intent
of developing Internet standards needed to support an X.509-based PKI. These
PKI's are seen as a module technology for providing the building blocks of
digital trust models and are important to commercial and other regulated
users of Assured Computing.
Goals
The PKIX working group is continuing its development on additional standards
work to develop protocols that are either integral to PKI management, that
are otherwise tightly coupled, or closely related to PKI use. Work is also
ongoing on alternative certificate revocation methods. There also is work
defining conventions for certificate name forms and extension usage for
"qualified certificates," certificates designed for use in binding or
non-repudiation contexts. Finally, work is underway on protocols for
building portability in audit trust models like time stamping and data
certification. These protocols are designed primarily to support
non-repudiation, making use of certificates and CRLs, and are so tightly
bound to the mechanical use of PKI that they warrant coverage under this
working group.

Additional work will be initiated on a profile for X.509 attribute
certificates, resulting in a new RFC and, perhaps, in extensions to existing
certificate management standards to accommodate differences between
attribute certificates and public-key certificates.

The PKIX working group is operated under the aegis and operating provisos of
the IETF as one of its official working groups. Because of this, only the
highest ethical conduct can be allowed in the Working Group Chairs. The
management of this group is also keenly aware that the deliverables of this
WG have direct impact on the PKI Industry and as such must be put forth with
the highest levels of integrity to prevent abuse of one technology or
another.

To help address the transition of PKI's developed in this group, unlike
other IETF WG's this WG will mandate the need in its filings for  a  formal
"Requirements Section"  describing the mechanical  functionality and
input/output processes necessary to use this particular piece of PKI.

Milestones to date:
In addition to the dates and documents listed in the tables below, several
informational and standards track documents in support of the original goals
of the WG have been approved by the IESG. The first of these standards, RFC
2459, profiles the X.509 version 3 certificates and version 2 CRLs for use
in the Internet. The Certificate Management Protocol (CMP) (RFC 2510), the
Online Certificate Status Protocol (OCSP) (RFC 2560), and the Certificate
Management Request Format (CRMF) (RFC 2511) have been approved, as have
profiles for the use of LDAP v2 for certificate and CRL storage (RFC 2587)
and the use of FTP and HTTP for transport of PKI operations (RFC 2585). RFC
2527, an informational RFC on guidelines for certificate policies and
practices also has been published, and the IESG has approved publication of
an information RFC on use of KEA (RFC 2528) and is expected to do the same
for ECDSA. Work continues on a second certificate management protocol, CMC,
closely aligned with the PKCS publications and with the cryptographic
message syntax (CMS) developed for S/MIME. A roadmap, providing a guide to
the growing set of PKIX document, is also being developed as an
informational RFC.

      Sep 99    Update RFC 2459, in anticipation of progression from
PROPOSED to DRAFT
      Done    Complete approval of CMC, and qualified certificates documents
      Dec 99    Update March/April RFCs, for progress from PROPOSED to DRAFT
      Done    Complete time stamping document
      Done    Continue attribute certificate profile work
      Done    Complete data certification document
      Done    Complete work on attribute certificate profile