Subject: Re: A PKI Question: PKCS11-> PKCS12

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 13:24:07 -0500

The purpose of storing a private key in a smart card, is exactly that "to
jail it". By being able to move the private key to another device you run
the risk of a malicious user having a copy of your private key and using
that private key to impersonate you. The reason to have a smart card is to
provide a secure means to transport, store and use your private key for
authentication and/or encryption. A Smart card user may have a legitimate
"want" to move their key to another smart card, but this would circumuvent
the point of the smart card. The purpose is not to just be able to
transport the key, otherwise everyone would use 3.5" floppies.

Hope this answered your question.

-Jim

"RAGHAVENDRAN H. (SSG) - CTD, Chennai." <[email-masked]>
@mail.imc.org on 11/27/2001 11:17:19 AM

Sent by:  [email-masked]

To:   [email-masked]
cc:
Subject:  A PKI Question: PKCS11-> PKCS12

Hi List:

Sorry this may be off the list, but I thought this is the best "PKI" place
to ask this question :-)

Myself and my friend had an discussion in which he says that when I put a
private key/certificate pair into a smart card device (such as GPK 4000),
it
is impossible to read the information and create a PKCS12 file (disk based)
out of it.

I find it mighty strange. For example, I might want to swap my
certificate/key pair from one smart card to another and I might want to do
it via the PKCS12 format.

Can anybody say whether this is possible or not?

Some of my friends say that it "may be" possible to export only the
Certificate and not the private key associated with it. I don't see sense
any of this argument.

In fact, what is the point in jailing the private key for life in a single
smart card? This argument is totally contrary to logical thinking.

Pls. guys, I'd be grateful if you could answer this question.

Regards,
Raghav

----------------------------------------------------------------
The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged
material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.   If you received
this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any
computer.

---

From: "Anders Rundgren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 20:31:22 +0100

Raghav,
This is how I envision that you could make a "copy" of a smart PKI-card
in a secure way:

Using the original smart card (with cert. + priv. key) you authenticate to
the CA.  Based on the login the CA *could* allow you to do a certificate
request using a new "fresh" card with built-in key-gen. 

There are PKIX-efforts like SACRED that seems to address your whish but I
think that the above is a better way to do it, as does not need export of private keys.
In addition you can always trace an authentication or signing to a particular
device/key-container.

Regards
Anders

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2001 19:24
Subject: Re: A PKI Question: PKCS11-> PKCS12

-Jim

To:   [email-masked]
cc:

Hi List:

Regards,
Raghav

---

From: "Anders Rundgren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 20:31:22 +0100

Raghav,

Regards
Anders

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2001 19:24
Subject: Re: A PKI Question: PKCS11-> PKCS12

-Jim

To:   [email-masked]
cc:

Hi List:

Regards,
Raghav