Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-acrmf-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 06:58:11 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509) Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Attribute Certificate Request Message Format
	Author(s)	: P. Yee
	Filename	: draft-ietf-pkix-acrmf-01.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 06-Mar-02
	
The Certificate Request Message Format ([CRMF]) specifies a format
for requesting an X.509 public key certificate from a Certification
Authority (CA), possibly with assistance from an Local Registration
Authority (LRA).  This specification, ACRMF, is modeled on CRMF,
extending similar functionality to requests for X.509 attribute cer-
tificates from Attribute Authorities (AA), possibly via an Attribute
Registration Authority (ARA).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-acrmf-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-pkix-acrmf-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-acrmf-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Yee, Peter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 14:22:49 -0800

>I recognize that [ACPROF], the Internet Attribute Certificate Profile, does
>not currently recommend the use of delegation and AC chains as specified in
>the X.509 standard [X.509-2000], however I would hope that your Internet
>Draft [ACRMF] on Attribute Certificate Request Message Format will not
>preclude it.

Yes, I would call that an oversight on my part.  I have to admit that
sometimes I think of ACs within the limited scope of ACPROF.

>More specifically, to not preclude this I would suggest that Section 5.2 on
>the "OldCert ID Control" should not just be specifying the certificate to
be
>replaced, but in addition it should able to be used to specify the higher
>certificate in the AC chain from which privileges are delegated.  This
would
>then ensure that delegation through an AA is also supported in the future.

>What do you think?

Sounds feasible to me.  Do you have a proposed syntax, or would something
like
a pair of certificates (old certificate and "delegator" suffice)?  [I'm sure
Phil G. will pop in here now with some proper syntax. :-)]

							-Peter Yee
							[email-masked]

>Feel free to distribute this comment and your response on the mailing list
>since I am not currently a member of the PKIX list, but only monitor its
>status on the web site.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Francois
>---------------------------------
>Francois Rousseau
>IT Standards, Senior Advisor - CSE
>Conseiller Superieur, Normes TI - CST
>[email-masked]
>(613) 991-8364
>Edward Drake Building
>1500 Bronson, Ottawa, Ontario, K1G 3Z4