Subject: Info on TimeStamp Patents

From: [email-masked] (Miguel Angel Rodriguez)
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 09:49:10 -0600

Hi!  Where can I get information on Time Stamp patents?
 
Miguel A Rodriguez
SeguriDATA
Mexico

---

From: Denis Pinkas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 12:32:17 +0100

> Hi!  Where can I get information on Time Stamp patents?

The information is in the RFC 3161 section 5. 
Intellectual Property Rights

Denis

---

From: "todd glassey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 06:11:58 -0800

Someone asked me offline about this as well and the answer I gave them is
that RFC3161 is essentially useless by itself because it is not a standalone
evidentiary model and that any use of the technology in any way probably
violates any number of private and commercially held patents because of the
end-user's need to merge the RFC3161 functionality with numerous components
to make it of ***any*** use whatsoever.

In this particular instance, the problem is that the RFC3161 system is not a
complete evidentiary system and while the primary claim of the recently
struck-down Surety Patent RE34954's may be invalidated, that this does not
mean derivative systems based on other aspects of using the Time Stamp are
not covered under the numerous TS patents already issued including Surety's
RE34954, the Datum/Glassey/McNeil Patent -"Controlling Access to Stored
Information - EP997808A2" and ones by the XML houses for digital document
presentation.

I assure you folks that between the XML receipt people, and McNeil and I,
and those of Surety, and to some extent some of the IBM patents will
constrain most all timestamping methodologies. Not to mention the original
Pitney Bowes document timestamping ones, or any submitted by the Receipt.ORG
people.

But we (I and others) have said this all along this process, so this should
not be news to anyone.

Todd Glassey