Subject: RE: OpenEvidence

From: Peter Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 13:29:17 -0800

Out of interest, is the EC paying for an open source
implementation of the part that enables centralized key 
escrow/management of key encryption certificates via the DVCS 
cert validation service? I think this is a cool idea,
personally. I dont want key escrow policy enforced via certs,
but enforcement via cert validation is fine; this is a lovely
example of the power of TTP-based validation policys
to assert a non-CA-based control model.

Could you forward the legal conditions (controlling use of the 
"open source") agreed with the Commission concerning how 
others may use the results of the funding, as produced by 
the consortium members?

I love the fact that IESG issues an RFC for a validation
service/policy that essentially enables a non-CA "online"
TTP to essentially issue and distribute key encryption certs
(as a side-effect of generating NR-grade validation evidence)
where such certs are just one example of a DVCS being
used to distribute a control-attribute. That this
is clearly backed by two mainline vendors (Entrust and Baltimore)
give alot of credibility to the basis of using online validation
services as the infastructure for executing authorization-based control 
policies.

This design may have little or no relevance in the US 
government-influenced circles (or anyone else who has built a 
pure, cert/CRL-based infrastructure) but this design could well suit 
the multi-national needs of European e-government where the 
are a multitude of overlapping transaction controls, for a 
myriad of different regulated businesses. Much of the
Identrus-experience in operating a first generation large-scale
validation infrastructure can probably be brought into play, to
augment the baseline DVCS, which is missing some scalability 
features.

Well Done!

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Sylvester [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 9:38 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: OpenEvidence

Hello,

I am happy to inform you that he EU-Commission has signed
the contrat for the project OPEN-EVIDENCE today.

As some might already know, part of the deliverables 
are open source implementations of RFCs 3029 and 3061.

The partners are: C&A Italy, Cybernetica Estonia, 
EdelWeb France and Speos Belgium.

The official project begin is April 1st 2002. ;-)

Stay tuned.  

Regards
Peter Sylvester -- EdelWeb