Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pkix-pi-08.txt

From: Peter Sylvester <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 15:23:05 +0100 (MET)

> Here is the new text for UTF8.
> 
>     The IdentifierValue supports one syntax: UTF8String. UTF8String is
>     variable length data of octets. The UTF8String syntax is used to
>     express a string of characters from the Universal Character Set
>     - UCS [ISO10646] (a superset of [Unicode]), encoded following the
>     [UTF-8] algorithm. The UCS allows support of most of the world's
>     writing systems using a single character set.
> 
>     Note that Unicode characters U+0000 through U+007F are the same as
>     ASCII 0 through 127, respectively, and have the same single octet
>     UTF-8 encoding.  Other Unicode characters have a multiple octet
>     UTF-8 encoding.
> 

I think you can simply remove all this.

---

From: Denis Pinkas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 15:09:54 +0100

Peter,

> I think you can simply remove all this.   

Mentionning the backward compatibility with ASCII is not necessarilly 
straightforward for everybody and giving the references of UTF-8 allows 
people to identify the relevant documents.

Unless there is something wrong in it, I would think it is better to keep it.

Denis