Subject: draft meeting minutes

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:09:05 -0500

Please review and comment on these minutes from last week's PKIX 
meeting.  I plan to submit them to the Secretariat by 11/24.

Steve
-------

PKIX WG Meeting 11/10/04

Edited by Steve Kent

Chairs: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]> & Tim Polk <[email-masked]>

The PKIX WG met once during the 61st IETF. A total of approximately 
55 individuals participated in the meeting.

Document status - Tim Polk (NIST)
	One new RFC: SHA-224. Three documents approved by IESG, now 
in RFC Editor's queue: public key algorithms, CMPbis, and Permanent 
identifier. Warranty extension awaiting AD followup. Five documents 
under Security AD review (includes awaiting corrections by authors): 
AC policies, Certificate path building, Certificate Store, PKIX 
repository, and CRMFbis. In WG last call: SCVP. Almost ready for WG 
last call: SIM, various LDAP documents, and Elliptic curve 
algorithms. See slides for additional details.

SCVP (version 16) - Trevor Freeman (Microsoft)
	Lots of changes have been made from v15; many were editorial 
but also many substantive changes and some new features. Another rev 
of the document will be needed. We need to ensure that the ASN.1 is 
correct, once we agree on the functionality, and so we will compile 
it to verify. Presentation reviewed changes and new features 
(relative to v15). See slides for additional details.

3280bis - Tim Polk (NIST)
       The co-chairs have selected a lead editor for RFC 3280bis and 
formed a design team to develop a -00 draft from a issues list 
complied from PKIX mail messages and mail to the RFC 3280 editors. 
Draft -00 is expected late in 2004. See slides for additional details.

Using AIA in CRLs - Stefan Santesson (Microsoft)
A new PKIX document proposing extending use of the AIA certificate 
extension in CRLs, to facilitate locating the certificate for the 
signer of a CRL. This is a simple, new use of this existing 
(certificate) extension, with straightforward semantics. Examples 
were presented showing how this new capability accommodates CA rekey 
and indirect CRL situations. This solution is preferable to use of 
SIA, since SIA would work only a subset of the cases presented, and 
because inserting AIA in CRLs is easier than inserting SIA in 
certificates, given the relative frequency of issuance of each. See 
slides for additional details.

CRL Processing Rules Issues - Santosh Chokhani (Orion)
       This presentation provides a review of issues in CRL processing 
when different keys are used for signing certificates vs. the CRLs 
that revoke those certificates. This is allowed in X.509 and 3280 for 
various purposes, e.g., indirect CRLs, CA key rollover, etc. However, 
these standards do not address the details of how to ensure that the 
right public key is used to verify CRL signatures in these cases. 
Problems also may arise due to conflicts in CA names (assigned under 
different administrative entities). Finally, some problems also may 
arise when OCSP is used (in lieu of CRLs) and this presentation 
proposes means to address these problems as well. Russ notes that for 
this and for Stafan's presentation, a critical feature is that the 
SAME trust anchor must be used to verify the target certificates and 
certificates for the corresponding CRLs. See slides for additional 
details.

LDAP Schemas - David Chadwick (Univ. of Salford)
	PKIX has a suite of LDAP-PKIX drafts forming a comprehensive 
solution for LDAP based PKI information distribution. No significant 
change since the last meeting, just minor updates. So the versions 
posted last week should not be ready for last call, which will be 
issued by mid-November. Goal is to issue these as Informational RFCs. 
In parallel, we will pass these I-Ds to the LDAP folks for review. 
See slides for additional details.

LDAP PKIX Schema Issues - Kurt Zeilenga (LDAP WG co-chair)
       This presentation discussed remaining issues associated with 
PKI LDAP schemas. See slide for additional details.

Lightweight OCSP - Ryan Hurst (Microsoft)
	This presentation discusses a new document (not a PKIX work 
item) that describes how to use OCSP in "response pre-production" 
environments. The document also includes a profile for OCSP clients 
and servers, and proposes some new extensions to improve 
functionality. Initial intent was to make this an informational RFC, 
but they are reconsidering its status, perhaps shooting for a 
standards track document as an individual submission. See slides for 
additional details.

Algorithm IDs for ECC in PKIX - Tim Polk presented for Daniel Brown (Certicom)
	There have been changes since the previous version, for 
better alignment with NIST algorithm publications. The document also 
provides info for other EC curves, not just the NIST ones. Suggestion 
from Russ is to edit this document to address only NIST approved 
curves, and use a separate document for other curves and for MQV 
(e.g., vs. EC-DSA and EC-RSA). Issue arose as to whether we need a 
means of restricting use of a key to a SET of EC algorithms, vs. an 
individual (EC) algorithm. Russ advises that this is NOT a good idea, 
given experience with RSA keys. See slides for additional details.

User Interface Requirements for PKIX - Baehyo Park (KISA)
       This presentation describes a personal draft, not a PKIX work 
item.  The presentation is a follow-up to a presentation on draft -00 
at IETF-60. The speaker used his laptop to demonstrate the GUI he 
proposes, though a scripted scenario.