Subject: Re: Suggestion for revising RFC 3280

From: "Sean P. Turner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:42:12 -0500

Or at least have a paragraph that gets removed prior to RFC publication 
to tell everybody where changes were made.

spt

Paul Hoffman / VPNC wrote:

>
> Instead of starting rfc3280bis, start a draft called something like 
> "rfc3280-changes". Have that draft be short, and contain *only* 
> changes to 3280. Only after there is consensus on the -changes draft 
> should you roll the changes in.
>
> No one reads all of 3280 these days, so expecting people to search 
> through rfc3280bis for different sections is not reasonable.
>
> --Paul Hoffman, Director
> --VPN Consortium
>
>

---

From: Paul Hoffman / VPNC <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 14:50:41 -0500

At 1:42 PM -0500 11/8/04, Sean P. Turner wrote:
>Or at least have a paragraph that gets removed prior to RFC 
>publication to tell everybody where changes were made.

This is only useful if the stuff that is the summary is a *complete* 
and *exact* changelog. Most of us summarize too far when we write 
these sections. I still would prefer a "changes-only" draft.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium