Subject: Re: 3280bis issue: paragraph titles and field names.

From: Peter Sylvester <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:56:07 +0100 (MET)

Subchapter 4.1.2 and others seems to use inconsistent names.

For example: 

4.1.2  TBSCertificate  

   ... The remainder of this section describes the syntax and
   semantics of these fields. 
                      XXXXXX

4.1.2.1  Version

   This field describes 

5.1.2.1  Version 

   .. 

These should be 'version'  since it is the field and not the type.

4.1.2.2  Serial number

should be serialNumber (also in the text)

4.1.2.3  Signature

should be signature    

   This field MUST contain the same algorithm identifier as the
   signatureAlgorithm field in the sequence Certificate (section
   4.1.1.2). 

   This field MUST contain the same algorithm identifier as the
   signatureAlgorithm field in the surrounding sequence Certificate
   (section 4.1.1.2). 

4.1.2.4  Issuer (should be issuer)

   The issuer field 

Ah, some texts start with 'This field', others with 'The xxx field'

and so on up to

4.1.2.9  Extensions

This continues in various other areas. 

A possible solution to avoid lower case title may be to write
something like "Field signature' and 'Type XXX'