Subject: Protocol Action: 'Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Certificate Request Message Format (CRMF)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 19:20:10 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Certificate Request Message Format 
   (CRMF) '
   <draft-ietf-pkix-rfc2511bis-08.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509) Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Russ Housley and Sam Hartman.

Technical Summary

  This document obsoletes RFC 2511.

  This document describes the Certificate Request Message Format (CRMF).
  This syntax is used to convey a request for a certificate to a
  Certification Authority (CA), possibly via a Registration Authority
  (RA), for the purposes of X.509 certificate production.  The request
  will typically include a public key and associated registration
  information.

Working Group Summary

  The Working Group came to consensus on this document.

Protocol Quality

  This document was reviewed by Jeffrey I. Schiller for the IESG.

RFC Editor Note

  Update the [CMS] reference to point to RFC 3852 instead of
  RFC 3369, which is obsoleted by RFC 3852.

  There is an error in the ASN.1 module.  I very minor change to
  Appendix B is needed to correct it.

  OLD:

  -- Cryptographic Message Syntax 
     EnvelopedData 
        FROM CryptographicMessageSyntax { iso(1) member-body(2)
             us(840) rsadsi(113549) pkcs(1) pkcs-9(9) smime(16) 
             modules(0) cms-2001(14) };  -- found in [CMS] 

  NEW:

  -- Cryptographic Message Syntax 
     EnvelopedData 
        FROM CryptographicMessageSyntax2004 { iso(1) member-body(2)
                                       ^^^^
             us(840) rsadsi(113549) pkcs(1) pkcs-9(9) smime(16) 
             modules(0) cms-2001(14) };  -- found in [CMS]