Subject: RE: draft-ietf-pkix-srvsan-00

From: "Stefan Santesson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 20:12:25 +0100

Well,

A number of voices were raised suggesting UTF8String to better
accommodate a future of internationalized domain names.
I didn't really think it mattered since we generally convert everything
to Unicode before comparing, but on the other side I can't really see
the case where IA5String would not be sufficient. DNS can always be
expressed in punicode and you are probably right that comparing would be
generally easier.

So unless nobody raise their voice against it, I will change back to
IA5String in next draft.

For those who don't really understand what we are talking about, this
refers to the new 00 pkix draft for an otherName based on the DNS SRV RR
Syntax which I submitted today, but hadn't yet hit the charter page. It
will hopefully be available soon.

If you need it right now. Send me an e-mail.

Stefan Santesson
Program Manager, Standards Liaison
Windows Security

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Russ Housley [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: den 22 september 2005 20:54
> To: Stefan Santesson
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: draft-ietf-pkix-srvsan-00
> 
> Stefan:
> 
> I am much happier with this approach that the one originally
discussed.  I
> just have one question.
> 
> Why UTF8String?  Doesn't this complicate the comparison to the bits
that
> come from the DNS.  My understanding is that the DNS is a binary
protocol,
> so OCTET STRING ought to be easiest.
> 
> Russ