Subject: Protocol Action: 'Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Authority Information Access CRL Extension' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 16:10:27 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Authority Information Access CRL 
   Extension '
   <draft-ietf-pkix-crlaia-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509) Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Sam Hartman and Russ Housley.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pkix-crlaia-03.txt

Technical Summary
 
 This document updates RFC 3280 by defining the Authority Information
 Access Certificate Revocation Lists (CRL) extension.  RFC 3280 [PKIX1]
 provides for bottom-up discovery of certification paths through the
 Authority Information Access extension.  This document defines the use
 of the Authority Information Access extension in CRLs, enabling a CRL
 checking application to to locate certificates that may be useful in
 the construction of a valid CRL issuer certification path to an
 appropriate trust anchor.

Working Group Summary
 
 The working group had consensus to advance the draft to proposed standard.
 
Protocol Quality
 
 This document has been reviewed by members of the [email-masked]
 mailing list, the RFC 3280bis design team, and by the working groupc
 chairs.  This document was reviewed for the IESG by Sam Hartman.