Subject: RFC 4491 on Using the GOST R 34.10-94, GOST R 34.10-2001, and GOST R 34.11-94 Algorithms with the Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Certificate and CRL Profile

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 15:24:47 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4491

        Title:      Using the GOST R 34.10-94, 
                    GOST R 34.10-2001, and GOST R 
                    34.11-94 Algorithms with the Internet X.509 
                    Public Key Infrastructure Certificate and CRL 
                    Profile 
        Author:     S. Leontiev, Ed.,
                    D. Shefanovski, Ed.
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       May 2006
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      20
        Characters: 39095
        Obsoletes:  RFC3279
        See-Also:   

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-pkix-gost-cppk-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4491.txt

This document supplements RFC 3279.  It describes encoding formats,
identifiers, and parameter formats for the algorithms GOST R 34.10-94,
GOST R 34.10-2001, and GOST R 34.11-94 for use in Internet X.509
Public Key Infrastructure (PKI).  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Public-Key Infrastructure (X.509)
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and 
suggestions for improvements.Please refer to the current edition of the
Internet Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization 
state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is 
unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

---

From: "Gregory S. Chudov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 17:22:37 +0400

Thanks and to everyone involved.
One funny thing - the announcement says "Obsoletes:  RFC3279"
(was "Updates:  RFC3279" in the document itself).
So GOST is now the one and only algorithm for PKIX? :)

Good luck!

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 2:24 AM
Subject: RFC 4491 on Using the GOST R 34.10-94, GOST R 34.10-2001, and GOST 
R 34.11-94 Algorithms with the Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure 
Certificate and CRL Profile

---

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 10:24:46 -0400

>So GOST is now the one and only algorithm for PKIX? :)

I've contacted the RFC Editor about this whoops.

Steve

---

From: Brad Hards <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 21:33:11 +1000

> So GOST is now the one and only algorithm for PKIX? :)
Is there any plan for an informational RFC for the GOST algorithms? 

It just seems it would be a lot more accessible if the algorithms were 
"officially" available in English.

Brad

---

From: "Gregory S. Chudov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 19:31:59 +0400

Greetings.

It is not a simple task to make them "officially" available in English.
It requires at least some coordination with the Government Committee for 
Standards,
and there are a lot of old-fashioned people there who would ask questions
like "Do we really need this". We could start this process, if there is a 
weighty
demand for this within the internet community, e.g. within PKIX working 
group.

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Brad Hards" <[email-masked]>
To: "Gregory S. Chudov" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2006 3:33 PM
Subject: Re: RFC 4491 on Using the GOST R 34.10-94, GOST R 34.10-2001, and 
GOST R 34.11-94 Algorithms with the Internet X.509 Public Key Infrastructure 
Certificate and CRL Profile

> > One funny thing - the announcement says "Obsoletes: ?RFC3279"
> > (was "Updates: ?RFC3279" in the document itself).