Subject: [pkix] Differences between "Router" and "Human" enrollments

From: Anders Rundgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 22:30:46 +0200

I 'm not very much into routers so I obviously do not have the best
background for creating an enrollment system for routers which is
one reason why SKS/KeyGen2 isn't targeted at routers.

However, since it is so costly bringing out a full-fledged enrollment
scheme it may be an idea at least investigating what routers require
that humans don't, right?

After familiarizing myself a bit with SCEP I see one thing that
you don't find in human-oriented enrollment and that's polling
for the result.  In the human variant of enrollment you rather
get a notification by a messaging system that when you attend
to it, brings you to the next phase.

Another difference is protocol invocation, but here I see that a
somewhat slimy web-proxy concept that I have already have
running since 3 years back actually could work quite well.
All you need is a web-browser.

Due to the complexity of this, I believe you need to build
proof-of-concept systems before claiming that you have a solution.
I have done that for the human part.

Anders