Subject: [pkix] Fwd: W3C launches Web Cryptography Working Group

From: Anders Rundgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 00:00:36 +0200

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: W3C launches Web Cryptography Working Group
Resent-Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 21:38:16 +0000
Resent-From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 23:39:10 +0200
From: Harry Halpin <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>

Everyone - thanks for all the feedback and work since the Workshop, we're finally launching:

    W3C launched today a new Web Cryptography Working Group, whose
    mission is to define an API that lets developers implement
    secure application protocols on the level of Web applications,
    including message confidentiality and authentication services,
    by exposing trusted cryptographic primitives from the browser.
    Web application developers will no longer have to create their
    own or use untrusted third-party libraries for cryptographic
    primitives. This will improve security on the Web. Some of the
    chartered use cases for this API include:

    http://www.w3.org/2012/webcrypto/
    http://www.w3.org/2011/11/webcryptography-charter
      * The ability to select credentials and sign statements can
        be necessary to perform high-value transactions such as
        those involved in finance, corporate security, and
        identity-related claims about personal data.
      * The provisioning and use of keys within Web applications
        can be used for scenarios such as increasing the security
        of user authentication and determining whether a particular
        device is authenticated for particular services.
      * The ability to check source integrity before executing
        Javascript code previously stored in local storage.

    Learn more about the Security Activity.

    http://www.w3.org/Security/Activity