Subject: [pkix] Adrian Farrel's No Objection on draft-housley-pkix-oids-02: (with COMMENT)

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 04:35:21 -0700

Adrian Farrel has entered the following ballot position for
draft-housley-pkix-oids-02: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-housley-pkix-oids/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I appreciate that the process here is a bit complicated because the
arc is transitioning from the PKIX WG to IANA. That means some 
codepoints are limbotomised (caught in the gap created by the 
transition) in that the DE has not had a chance to pronounce on
them and no IETF-approved document records them, yet they need to be
captured in the new registry. 

I think it would be good to call these out explicitly (yes they are
present in the lists in Section 3, but there is no explanation) so
that we have a record that the WG has already approved them.

Part of the issue here is that the relevant documents are not PKIX
WG documents. Furthermore, the documents do not appear to have
satisfactory IANA considerations sections.

Obviously, this document cannot fix those other documents, but it
would be good to include a section (e.g. 2.1) describing "Allocations
Already Approved by the PKIX Working Group".

I believe that this would also serve to address IANA's questions about
the relationship with draft-housley-pkix-test-oids (although not their
question about 31 != 33).

The related I-Ds in question are:
- draft-jabley-dnssec-trust-anchor-08 [ID-Abley] 
- draft-ietf-sidr-bgpsec-pki-profiles [ID-BGPSEC]
- draft-housley-pkix-test-oids [ID-Housley] 
  (slightly different category because it is in the RFC editor queue)