Subject: Re: [Policy] java-implementation

From: "Larry S. Bartz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 16:19:15 -0500

David McTavish wrote, on Wed, 18 Dec 2002 14:28:05 -0500:
 > I was hoping that someone would be interested enough to look at the
 > attached java-based source files to give me an idea of whether my
 > interpretation of what the PCIM model is supposed to be is correct.
 > I have found that the model proposed in the draft is fairly
 > understandable, but there are some minor inconsistencies with how
 > conditions and actions are handled/implemented.
 >
 > Anyway, please feel free to use these files in any form if it would
 > help bring this proposal into a finalized standard.
 >
 > d.
 >

David,

My comments are long overdue, for which I apologize.

In my own defense, I didn't immediately recognize the potential utility
of your work. Now that I've rested a few times, I'm seeing lots of
potential uses. Your org.ietf.pcim package appears to be a sound
foundation for others to implement, extend, and accessorize to meet
Policy manipulation and interpretation requirements.

I have looked for, but have not been able to detect, what you have
characterized as "minor inconsistencies with how conditions and actions
are handled/implemented." Can you elaborate? At what point(s) in
which source file(s) are these inconsistencies manifested?

David, I'm no lawyer. But I believe that the copyright notice which
is incorporated in each of your package's source files is logically
inconsistent with the package name "org.ietf.pcim", and with your
assertion that we should "feel free to use these files in any form...".
Would you consider republishing your work with one of the more liberal
and more open copyright statements, such as GPL, LGPL, BSD or similar?
It is entirely appropriate to identify yourself and your employer
in each of your source files, to establish authorship. But if I
understand your intent correctly, a more explicit invitation to
romp and play is warranted.

Thanks,

-- 
--
#::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|
# Larry Bartz                           |                              |
#  [email-masked]      | Ooo, ooo,                    |
#                                       | Ooo, ooo, oooooo!            |
#                                       | I've got a gnu attitude!     |
#  voice (317) 226-7060                 |                              |
#  FAX   (317) 226-6378                 |                              |
#::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|

_______________________________________________
Policy mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/policy