Subject: Stac LZS Compression with ASCEND Pipe Line 130

From: Michael Liwerant <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 10:55:47 +0200

Hi All,

I'll appreciate your advice regarding compatability of ASCEND Pipe Line
130 (Ver 5.0-Ap1) to RFC1974 for testing Stac LZS compression. 
It seems that the ASCEND 130 is sending a CCP configure-request packet
containing a Stac LZS option length of 6 bytes (while RFC1974 specifies
this field as 5 !!!) the actual result is an extra byte added between
"History Count" and "Check Mode" fields.

Has anyone met the same problem or did I miss something here ?

Thanks for your response - Michael.

---

From: Matt Holdrege <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 17:58:34 -0800

At 10:55 AM 2/24/98 +0200, Michael Liwerant wrote: 

<excerpt>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>Hi All,</smaller></fontfamily> 

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>I'll appreciate your advice
regarding compatability of ASCEND Pipe Line 130 (Ver 5.0-Ap1) to RFC1974
for testing Stac LZS compression. 

</smaller></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>It seems that the ASCEND 130 is
sending a CCP configure-request packet containing a Stac LZS option
length of 6 bytes (while RFC1974 specifies this field as 5 !!!) the
actual result is an extra byte added between "History Count" and "Check
Mode" fields.

</smaller></fontfamily>

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>Has anyone met the same problem
or did I miss something here ?</smaller></fontfamily> 

<fontfamily><param>Arial</param><smaller>Thanks for your response -
Michael.</smaller></fontfamily> 

</excerpt><<<<<<<<

Ascend's STAC predated RFC 1974. Now you have a configurable choice of
STAC or STAC-9 on Ascend units. STAC-9 is based on draft 9 of what became
RFC 1974. STAC works with legacy Ascend software.

Matt Holdrege		http://www.ascend.com	[email-masked]