Subject: Protocol Action: PPP Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 10:45:07 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft "PPP Extensible Authentication 
  Protocol (EAP)" <draft-ietf-pppext-eap-auth-03.txt> as a Proposed 
  Standard. This document is the product of the Point-to-Point Protocol 
  Extensions Working Group. The IESG contact persons are Thomas Narten and 
  Jeffrey Burgan.                                                          

Technical Summary
 
  The PPP Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) is a general protocol
  for PPP authentication which supports multiple authentication
  mechanisms.

  After the link has been established, PPP provides this optional
  Authentication Phase before proceeding to the Network-Layer Protocol
  phase. EAP does not select a specific authentication mechanism at Link
  Control Phase, but rather postpones this until the Authentication
  Phase. This allows the authenticator to request more information before
  determining the specific authentication mechanism. This also permits the
  use of a "back-end" server which actually implements the various
  mechanisms while the PPP authenticator merely passes through the
  authentication exchange.

Working Group Summary

  The Working Group last call produced no issues with this document.

Protocol Quality

  This document has been reviewed by Jeffrey Burgan and Thomas Narten
  of the IESG.