Subject: L2TP draft 10 question

From: "Greg Kendall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 May 98 13:08:58

in L2TP draft 10, section "4.2 Payload Packet Overview" in the 5th paragraph:

      In the case where neither peer issues a Receive Window Size AVP
      during session establishment, the optional Nr and Ns fields are
      absent in all payload packets for that session.

                                                      In the case where
      either peer wishes to perform flow-control or to detect out-of-
      order receive messages (as indicated by the sending of the Receive
      Window Size AVP with non-zero or zero value, respectively) the Nr
      and Ns fields MUST be present in payload packets sent by both
      peers.  

             Both MUST begin the session providing proper Nr and Ns
      values in all data packets transmitted.

The first and third parts above seem to contradict each other ...
or am I missing something?

Greg Kendall

Telenetworks
625 Second Street, S100
Petaluma, CA  94952

---

From: "W. Mark Townsley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 17:21:01 -0400 (EDT)

>       values in all data packets transmitted.

The intent for the third part is as a supporting sentence for the second,
e.g. it only applies for "the case where either peer wishes to perform
flow-control..."