Subject: Contradiction in RFC2284

From: "Glen Zorn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 12:16:07 -0700

RFC 2284 appears to be self contradicting WRT the contents of the Type-Data
field of the Nak Type: section 2.2.1 on page 6 says

      Normally, the Type field of the Response
      will be the same as the Type of the Request.  However, there is
      also a Nak Response Type for indicating that a Request type is
      unacceptable to the peer.  When sending a Nak in response to a
      Request, the peer MAY indicate an alternative desired
      authentication Type which it supports.

but section 3.3 on page 10 says

    3.3.  Nak

   Description

      The Nak Type is valid only in Response messages.  It is sent in
      reply to a Request where the desired authentication Type is
      unacceptable.   Authentication Types are numbered 4 and above.
      The Response contains the authentication Type desired by the peer.

   Type

      3

   Type-Data

      This field MUST contain a single octet indicating the desired
      authentication type.

Which is it?