Subject: IPCP IP address

From: Ohad Dekel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 11:09:30 +0200

hi,
I'll thank anyone's help in the next issue:

When assigning an IP address through the PPP IPCP IP address option, no
information about the subnet mask exchanges.

Is there a common solution to this problem? ( by using class A/B/C as
default  \  using always  RIP1 on this link  \  learning the subnet from
HELLO messages(OSPF), or RIP2 routing information exchange ?....) 

thanx,
Ohad Dekel

---

From: James Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 08:22:46 -0500

> information about the subnet mask exchanges.

This is quite intentional.  PPP links do not work on broadcast media,
so there's no need for a subnet definition.  A PPP link simply links
two individual IP hosts together.

> HELLO messages(OSPF), or RIP2 routing information exchange ?....) 

Personally, I treat the remote address on a PPP link as a host route
("subnet" mask 255.255.255.255) and use any available routing protocol
(or static routes) to set up routes to any networks reachable over the
link.  The subnet mask isn't meaningful, so, for those administrators
who insist on having such things, I generate a separate static route
to represent it.

-- 
James Carlson, Consulting Engineer                <[email-masked]>
IronBridge Networks / 5 Corporate Drive            Vox:  +1 978 691 4644
Andover MA  01810-2448 / USA                       Fax:  +1 978 691 6300