Subject: Protocol Action: PPP over AAL5 to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 10:23:52 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'PPP over AAL5'
<draft-ietf-pppext-aal5-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This document
is the product of the Point-to-Point Protocol Extensions Working
Group.  The IESG contact persons are Jeffrey Burgan and Thomas Narten.

Technical Summary
 
  The Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) provides a standard method for
  transporting multi-protocol datagrams over point-to-point links. This
  document describes the use of ATM Adaptation Layer 5 (AAL5) for
  framing PPP encapsulated packets.

  The ATM AAL5 protocol is designed to provide virtual connections
  between end stations attached to the same network. These connections
  offer a packet delivery service that includes error detection, but
  does not do error correction.

  This specification is intended for those implementations which desire
  to use the facilities which are defined for PPP, such as the Link
  Control Protocol, Network-layer Control Protocols, authentication, and
  compression.  These capabilities require a point-to-point relationship
  between the peers, and are not designed for the multi-point
  relationships which are available in ATM and other multi-access
  environments.

Working Group Summary

  The Working Group last call produced no issues with this document.

Protocol Quality

  This document has been reviewed by Jeffrey Burgan and Thomas Narten
  of the IESG.