Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pppext-pptp-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 14:31:08 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Point-to-Point Protocol Extensions Working Group 
of the IETF.

	Title		: Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol--PPTP
	Author(s)	: G. Zorn, G. Pall, K. Hamzeh, W. Verthein, 
                          J. Taarud, W. Little
	Filename	: draft-ietf-pppext-pptp-03.txt
	Pages		: 62
	Date		: 23-Jul-98
	
        This document specifies a protocol which allows the Point
        to Point Protocol (PPP) to be tunneled through an IP
        network. PPTP does not specify any changes to the PPP
        protocol but rather describes a new vehicle for carrying
        PPP. A client-server architecture is defined in order to
        decouple functions which exist in current Network Access
        Servers (NAS) and support Virtual Private Networks (VPNs).
        The PPTP Network Server (PNS) is envisioned to run on a
        general purpose operating system while the client, referred
        to as a PPTP Access Concentrator (PAC) operates on a dial
        access platform. PPTP specifies a call-control and
        management protocol which allows the server to control
        access for dial-in circuit switched calls originating from
        a PSTN or ISDN or to initiate outbound circuit-switched
          connections. PPTP uses an enhanced GRE (Generic Routing
        Encapsulation) mechanism to provide a flow- and
        congestion-controlled encapsulated datagram service for
        carrying PPP packets.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-pppext-pptp-03.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pppext-pptp-03.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pppext-pptp-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.