Subject: Public domain source code

From: Indhu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 01:30:25 -0500 (EST)

Hi

	Anybody knows any public domain source code for  PPP 
l2tp, pptp, PPP multilink.

Thanks in advance
Regards
Indhu S

---

From: Archie Cobbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 11:03:32 -0800 (PST)

> l2tp, pptp, PPP multilink.

A multi-link PPP daemon for FreeBSD (called mpd) is available in the
FreeBSD ports collection under net/mpd, or else get it directly from:

  ftp://ftp.whistle.com/pub/archie/mpd

-Archie

___________________________________________________________________________
Archie Cobbs   *   Whistle Communications, Inc.  *   http://www.whistle.com

---

From: David Woolley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 08:12:12 +0000 (GMT)

> l2tp, pptp, PPP multilink.

I don't think there is any public domain code for the core of PPP, or
even any Berkeley style licence material.  The best you could probably
manage is GPLed code (no proprietory derived works, but can be bundled
at the executable or shared library level with such works; source must be 
supplied).  Look at the Linux code for the core PPP support at this 
level of licence.

Public domain - you can treat it as though you wrote it.

Berkeley - you must acknowledge the true origins and clearly indicate
changes - you must pass on the original disclaimer of warranty and licence.

GPL - as Berkeley, plus:  you must supply source code - you may not charge
royalties (but may charge unlimited transfer and support fees) - you
may not impose restrictions on further redistribution (in particular a
requirement for payment to you would be royalties and not allowed).

See any piece of Gnu or Berkeley software for the full terms of the last two;
see your country's laws for the first one - some countries do not allow
all copyrights to be disclaimed and things only go into the public domain 
many years (50 to 70, typically) after the death of the author.

Beyond this there are various levels of restriction on commercial use
or distribution with many variations and often with poorly drafted 
definitions of commercial.