Subject: Stopping the junk mail

From: Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 14:03:54 -0800

>> EMAIL MARKETING WORKS!!

Should we make this a closed list (i.e. only accept messages from members
of the list)?

Stuart Cheshire <[email-masked]>
 * <A HREF="http://ResComp.Stanford.EDU/~cheshire/">World Wide Web Page</A>
 * Stanford Operating Systems and Networking Group Research Assistant
 * Stanford Residential Computing Associate
 * Macintosh Programmer

---

From: Andy Valencia <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 17:10:17 -0800 (PST)

>Should we make this a closed list (i.e. only accept messages from members

The L2TP sub-list of PPPEXT has gone to this policy.  The biggest hassle
is where companies use an exploder and only "[email-masked]" is
subscribed.  If the list admin is up for making sure the definition of
"members" accomodates this, it's a win.  I'm currently deflecting about one
spam a week directed at the L2TP list.

I don't think further discussion of this needs to happen on PPPEXT.  If the
list administrator and interested parties want to take this to E-mail I'll
be happy to help.

						Regards,
						Andy Valencia