Subject: MP+ Protocol doubt...

From: shenoyh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 97 14:36:00 PST

Hi,
     On page 7, rfc1934 (Multilink Protocol Plus), the error control 
procedure table shows a state * Start * to which transition takes place on 
the reception of a few events such as Received ACK_MSG in the Idle state. 
 This Start state is however not listed in the table itself, nor is it 
explained subsequently. Has the start state been missed out from the table ? 
Or does it imply remaining in the same state ?
Could anyone please help us on this ?
     Is there any material available other than rfc1934 on MP Plus ? Does 
anyone know if an update to the rfc 1934 is in the pipeline or any drafts 
regarding the same are available ?
     In addition to the above, the rfc has a few other inconsistencies such 
as :
The abscence of description on who sends (or when) a MP_PLUS_CLEAR_REQUEST 
(though the reception of such an event is explained, no where in the rfc is 
the transmission of such a request described ).
Also the "frame reteransmit timer" in the Error Control layer's State Event 
diagram has no explanation whatsoever.
     
Thanx in advance,
Regards,
Shenoy H.
([email-masked])
Sandeep S.
([email-masked])

---

From: Matt Holdrege <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 03:46:52 -0800

>diagram has no explanation whatsoever.

Shenoyh,

In case you've missed it, RFC 1934 or MP+ is Ascend's Multilink protocol.
It is informational only. It predated RFC 2125 (BACP) and should not be
confused with RFC 1990 both of which are standards track protocols.

There are no plans to update this protocol. If you truly need to find out
more about RFC 1934, please email me privately since it has little to do
with current IETF PPP development.

Matt Holdrege		http://www.ascend.com	[email-masked]