Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pppext-mschap-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 09:44:20 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Point-to-Point Protocol Extensions Working Group 
of the IETF.

	Title		: Microsoft PPP CHAP Extensions
	Author(s)	: G. Zorn, S. Cobb
	Filename	: draft-ietf-pppext-mschap-00.txt
	Pages		: 19
	Date		: 11-Mar-98
	
The  Point-to-Point  Protocol  (PPP)  [1] provides a standard method for
transporting multi-protocol datagrams over  point-to-point  links.   PPP
defines an extensible Link Control Protocol and a family of Network Con-
trol Protocols (NCPs) for establishing and  configuring  different  net-
work-layer protocols.
 
This  document  describes  Microsoft's PPP CHAP dialect (MS-CHAP), which
extends the user authentication functionality provided on  Windows  net-
works  to  remote workstations.  MS-CHAP is closely derived from the PPP
Challenge Handshake Authentication Protocol described in RFC  1994  [2],
which the reader should have at hand.
 
The algorithms used in the generation of various MS-CHAP protocol fields
are described in an appendix.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-pppext-mschap-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pppext-mschap-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pppext-mschap-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.