Subject: Re: draft-ietf-pppext-sonet-ds-00.txt

From: Karl Fox <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 12:29:38 -0800

I'd like to clear up some misunderstandings that have been voiced here
over the last week or so.

> For the record, consensus was achieved because there were no valid
> technical objections raised.

Being the chair, the task falls to me to make the final judgment as to
whether consensus has been achieved.  This would include reviewing the
mailing list(s), plus possibly asking explicitly for dissenting votes
or any last comments.

However, in view of the scheduled "Packet Over SONET/SDH Examination
BOF" in the OPS area next Wednesday at 1300-1500, and since it appears
that Frame Relay over SONET suffers from exactly the same
vulnerabilities as PPP over SONET, I can only conclude that this
problem does not fall under our jurisdiction after all.  It is a more
generic "packet over SONET", or perhaps "HDLC over SONET" problem.  If
the folks at the BOF fail to or do not have the authority to make a
decision, then whichever group decides such things will do so and the
successor to RFC 1619 will refer to their new method.

> I'll also point out that the PPPSDH mailing list is, as far as I can tell,
> not at all under the charter of the PPP WG or any other IETF group.  It's
> simply a mailing list.  

I am to blame for failing to adequately publicize it; I should have
announced it myself on the ietf-ppp mailing list after Bill's
unofficial invitation, and I should have put it on the PPPEXT WG web
page at http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/pppext-charter.html.  Bill
created the list last December after asking my permission.
-- 
Karl Fox, servant of God, employee of Ascend Communications
655 Metro Place South, Suite 370, Dublin, Ohio  43017   +1 614 760 4041