Subject: CRC in PPP over Sonet

From: Mathew Joy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 19:19:14 -0700

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody could help me answer
a question I had regarding CRC's on PPP over Sonet.  Is the CRC a
negotiable
option (via LCP in PPP)  or is it always configured to be 32-bit?  If it
is configurable,
do you know any RFC's  that define what the CRC option number is for
LCP.

thanks,

-matt

--
Matt Joy ([email-masked])
Siara Systems Inc.
(650) 237-3171

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 22:34:08 -0400

Matt,

 From draft-ietf-pppext-pppoversonet-update-04.txt:

    Regarding the FCS length, with one exception, the 32-bit FCS MUST be
    used for all SONET/SDH rates. For STS-3c-SPE/VC-4 only, the 16-bit
    FCS MAY be used, although the 32-bit FCS is RECOMMENDED.  The FCS
    length is set by provisioning and is not negotiated.

By the way, I'm told that RFC is scheduled to be announced Real Soon Now.
Watch your email ...

Regards,
Andy

-------

At 07:19 PM 6/21/99 -0700, Mathew Joy wrote:
>a question I had regarding CRC's on PPP over Sonet.  Is the CRC a negotiable
>do you know any RFC's  that define what the CRC option number is for LCP.
>
>thanks,
>
>
>-matt

________________________________________________________________________
Andrew G. Malis  [email-masked]  phone:978 952-7414   fax:978 392-2074
Ascend Communications, Inc.        1 Robbins Road     Westford, MA 01886