Subject: headhunters using list membership for recruiting SPAM

From: John Shriver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 16:51:16 -0400

Could the ietf-ppp list keeper please adjust Majordomo to totally
refuse the "who" command, rather than restricting it to list members.

(Or, possibly make a extension to Majordomo to only report members @
the same domain.  Eg. [email-masked] only sees [email-masked], etc.)
That's useful for pruning ex-employees.)

Dear [email-masked], who is the next to newest member of the list
as reported by Majordomo, just sent recruiting mail to some or all of
the members of the list.  It was rather obvious what she did, since
she sent it to a local exploder here that is only used for mail from
this list.

I think we also want to remove her from the list on general
principles...

(Perhaps the fact that this is happening should be forwarded to other
IETF working group mailing list managers.)

---

From: Vernon Schryver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 20:22:19 -0600 (MDT)

> From: John Shriver <[email-masked]>

> she sent it to a local exploder here that is only used for mail from

So that's why I got that junk!  I wondered, since it was odd.

> I think we also want to remove her from the list on general

Seconded.

> IETF working group mailing list managers.)

Seconded.

It seems cleanest to just turn off the majordomo who command.
Ex-employees are no more likely than entire domains that go bad
as the result of mergers and so forth.

Does the main IETF still answer the who command?  I think there were
complaints about that a year or two ago after some spam, and what seemed
to me bogus responses about the list being public and therefore the
membership list needing to be public.  I don't understand that implication
from public list to public membership roll, but even if it is valid, the
membership roll need not be available by computer.  No legitimate user of
the roll would be significantly inconvenienced by having to do things the
old fashioned, pre-computer way, by asking a human.

Vernon Schryver    [email-masked]

---

From: "mike winslow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 22:38:58 -0400

hmm.. far too complex..

I just replied that the 'six digit salary' needed to start off with the
number '2' (or more)..  Didn't hear back on it.
:)

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Vernon Schryver
Sent: Friday, June 04, 1999 10:23 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: headhunters using list membership for recruiting SPAM

To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: headhunters using list membership for recruiting SPAM
Sender: [email-masked]
Precedence: bulk
Errors-To: [email-masked]

Seconded.

Seconded.