Subject: RE: PPTP AUTHENTICATION

From: Gurdeep Singh Pall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 18:00:59 -0700

This paper is outdated. The later versions of auth and crypto with PPTP
based VPNs use different methods and dont have the weaknesses described in
this.

Gurdeep
-----Original Message-----
From: Archie Cobbs [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 1999 5:06 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: PPTP AUTHENTICATION

Regarding PPTP security weaknesses, some of you may find this paper
interesting if you haven't read it already.

  "Cryptanalysis of Microsoft's Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP)"

  http://www.counterpane.com/pptp.html

-Archie

___________________________________________________________________________
Archie Cobbs   *   Whistle Communications, Inc.  *   http://www.whistle.com

---

From: Archie Cobbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 18:33:45 -0700 (PDT)

Gurdeep Singh Pall writes:
>   ...

That's good to hear.. it might be worth notifying the paper's author
on that website (I believe it originated there).

-Archie

---

From: [email-masked] (Marc VanHeyningen)
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 08:42:22 -0700

> on that website (I believe it originated there).

I believe he has some awareness of it.  At one point Microsoft had a paper
outlining their response, but for some reason MS choose to pull it off
their web site.  If they published something describing (with some
technical detail) how the weaknesses have been addressed, I strongly
suspect Bruce would include a link to it with his paper.

- Marc

-- 
Marc VanHeyningen                 [email-masked]
Internet Security Architect
Aventail                          http://www.aventail.com/