Subject: Re: PPPEXT Charter Update

From: Gerry Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 12:32:56 +0100 (BST)

>We're in the process of updating the PPPEXT charter (at
>http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/pppext-charter.html), and are changing the
>main focus (if there is one!) from enhancements to document maturation.

Talking of documentation....
While idly scanning through the on-line Assigned Numbers for PPP:

http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/ppp-numbers

I notice some inconsistencies relating to LCP and CCP.

For LCP, it has:

  21       DCE-Identifier                            [SCHNEIDER]

  25       Consistent Overhead Byte Stuffing (COBS)    [Carlson]

For CCP, it has:

25              DCE                                   [RFC1976]

However RFC 1976 has option 25 an **LCP** option:

3.  PPP Link Control Protocol Extension

   The use of PPP in Compression DCE requires the use of an additional
   LCP Configuration Option:

      25  DCE-Identifier

So LCP option 25 has two contenders for the title.
 
So what is LCP Option 21?

	Gerry

---

From: "Karl Fox" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 14:27:02 -0400

Ok, folks, it's up to us to decide what to do, then we'll feed that
information back to the folks at IANA.

So what do we do?

1) Make LCP option 25 be DCE-Identifier as specified by RFC 1976, assign
    COBS a new LCP option number, and free up LCP option 21 and CCP option 25
    (or apply a "hold-down" timer to them).

or

2) Make LCP option 25 be COBS, assign DCE-Identifier a new LCP option
    number, and free up the others.

Before we can make reasonable decisions, though, it would help to know
what's been implemented out there.

So here's a poll:  Who has implemented DCE compression or COBS and shipped
it to customers?

Thanks,

Karl

>So what is LCP Option 21?

Karl Fox <[email-masked]>
Key fingerprint = 5B15 7260 D55E D680 0B93  4953 8A3B AB0E C05D 77A3

---

From: John Bray <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 13:09:38 -0700 (PDT)

Well, I notice the *examples* in RFC 1976 (section 5.1) use 21, not 25
for the DCE-Identifier option.  So it isn't even consistent with
itself.  James Carlson's book also lists it as 21.

John