Subject: Internet draft: Multiplexing Compressed RTP/UDP Packets in a PPP Frame

From: Ali Irfan-FIA225 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 11:18:44 -0500

We have submitted an Internet draft which is of interest to the AVT and the
PPPext groups. We will be making a 10 minute presentation about the draft to
the AVT group on Thursday, 15th July during the 15:30-17:30 session.

Comments on the draft are welcomed.

Details:

Title:   Multiplexing Compressed RTP/UDP Packets in a PPP Frame
Author:   Rajesh Pazhyannur and Irfan Ali
Filename: draft-pazhyannur-avt-pppmux-00.txt
Pages:    7
Date:     22-June-99
Abstract

   This draft proposes a scheme to increase the capacity of low-speed
   transmission links, T-1/E-1 or smaller, to transport low-bit rate
   voice applications over PPP. Given the relatively small payload size
   of the voice packets (average of 8 bytes for certain cellular
   networks) protocol overheads due to PPP, IP, UDP, and RTP are
   significant in determining the link capacity. The scheme proposed
   here is to multiplex compressed RTP/UDP packets into a single PPP
   frame. As a result, the PPP overhead (5-7 bytes) is distributed over
   multiple compressed RTP/UDP packets.

You can get the draft at

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pazhyannur-avt-pppmux-00.txt

Irfan Ali & Rajesh Pazhyannur