Subject: [Pppext] warning suggestions for draft-bberry-pppoe-credit

From: James Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 10:26:56 -0500

Our AD has asked for some suggested warning text that can be added to
this draft, as the author has asked for it to be published as an
Informational RFC.  (Please -- no matter which side of this divide
you're on -- direct your flames to /dev/null.  Yes, I and the rest of
the folks here know all of the arguments on both sides.  We don't need
to go over the issues again.)

Here's my suggestion.  Feel free to suggest better wording.

  "The PPP Extensions Working Group (pppext) has reservations about
  the desirability of the feature described in this document.  In
  particular, it solves a general problem at an inappropriate layer
  and it may have unpredictable interactions with higher and lower
  level protocols.  The consensus of the working group is that
  implementors would be better advised either to seek ways of making
  the underlying radio link suitable for general Ethernet-like use, or
  to abandon the incomplete emulation of Ethernet entirely."

-- 
James Carlson, KISS Network                    <[email-masked]>
Sun Microsystems / 1 Network Drive         71.232W   Vox +1 781 442 2084
MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757   42.496N   Fax +1 781 442 1677

_______________________________________________
Pppext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pppext

---

From: "Nelson, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 11:56:51 -0500

Having been through a similar exercise in another WG, I believe the best
course of action is to negotiate an appropriate "disclaimer" note with
the shepherding AD.  The contents of the note will likely not fully
satisfy the WG members who think the draft is entirely "broken", nor
satisfy the authors who think it's an eminently reasonable extension.

The whole issue of "questionable" extensions to IETF protocols is
something of a murky depth.  The "suitability disclaimer" is the best
available method of dealing with these situations.