Subject: [Pppext] [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC2637 (4790)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 01:27:12 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC2637,
"Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP)".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=2637&eid=4790

--------------------------------------
Type: Editorial
Reported by: Nikolai Malykh <[email-masked]>

Section: 2.2

Original Text
-------------
   Error Code               This field is set to 0 unless a "General
                            Error" exists, in which case Result Code is
                            set to 2 and this field is set to the value
                            corresponding to the general error condition
                            as specified in section 2.2.

Corrected Text
--------------
   Error Code               This field is set to 0 unless a "General
                            Error" exists, in which case Result Code is
                            set to 2 and this field is set to the value
                            corresponding to the general error condition
                            as specified in section 2.16.

Notes
-----
Incorrect reference to section 2.2.

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC2637 (draft-ietf-pppext-pptp-10)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP)
Publication Date    : July 1999
Author(s)           : K. Hamzeh, G. Pall, W. Verthein, J. Taarud, W. Little, G. Zorn
Category            : INFORMATIONAL
Source              : Point-to-Point Protocol Extensions
Area                : Internet
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG

---

From: James Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 07:48:04 -0400

> Corrected Text

The change makes sense to me, but this isn't a product of the PPPEXT
working group.  The RFC is Informational, and I believe that PPTP is
Microsoft's product.

-- 
James Carlson         42.703N 71.076W         <[email-masked]>

---

From: Megan Ferguson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 15:20:49 -0700

All,

Thank you for your input on this errata report.

In researching this case, we see a message from the IESG that states:

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Point-to-Point Tunneling
Protocol (PPTP)' <draft-ietf-pppext-pptp-10.txt> as an Informational
RFC.  This document is the product of the Point-to-Point Protocol
Extensions Working Group.  The IESG contact persons and Thomas Narten
and Erik Nordmark.

We also see the following IESG Note on the document itself:

IESG Note

   The PPTP protocol was developed by a vendor consortium. The
   documentation of PPTP is provided as information to the Internet
   community. The PPP WG is currently defining a Standards Track
   protocol (L2TP) for tunneling PPP across packet-switched networks.

So we have left the source as ppext for the time being. Please let us know
if you feel the message was inaccurate in 1999.

Note that we have gone ahead and updated the status of this errata report 
to “Verified” (as this change seems to be purely editorial in nature anyway).

We note that the document contains similar pointers to Section 2.2 in the 
following sections (in addition to the one pointed to in Section 2.2 originally):

2.4, 2.6, 2.8, 2.10, 2.13

We have updated the notes field of the errata report to mention these cases as 
well.  Please let us know any objection.

Thank you.

RFC Editor/mf

On Sep 1, 2016, at 10:48 AM, Kory Hamzeh <[email-masked]> wrote:

> That is correct. I was one of the authors of the RFC. All of the people I knew at Microsoft who I worked with me on PPTP are no longer there. Note that I was never an employee of Microsoft. I was working for Ascend and PPTP was originally based on an Ascend VPN protocol that I had developed.
> 
> 
>> On Sep 1, 2016, at 4:48 AM, James Carlson <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> Pppext mailing list
>> [email-masked]
>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ietf.org_mailman_listinfo_pppext&d=DQICAg&c=uw6TLu4hwhHdiGJOgwcWD4AjKQx6zvFcGEsbfiY9-EI&r=SjqMm98XYm7Fx3oayRe5ZQ&m=FlNyCGuTuio2s7VGOFBPOpOPF24huSnrbMg2qOj6LFc&s=WOZCTt6FkFRoQuaE5-WNDvCrrsLdK16QlcQCbu1xlY4&e= 
>