Subject: [ppsp] survey and problem statement of P2P streaming

From: zongning 63316 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 14:03:35 +0800

Hi, all,
Please find the attached Survey and Problem Statement of P2P Streaming. I hope it would be one of baseline documents for discussion during the incoming PPSP bar BoF. Any comments and suggestions are welcome.
Thank you!

Best Regards
Ning Zong

******************************************************************************************
 This email and its attachments contain confidential information from HUAWEI, which is intended only for the person or entity whose address is listed above. Any use of the information contained herein in any way (including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by phone or em
ail immediately and delete it!
 *****************************************************************************************
_______________________________________________
ppsp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ppsp

---

From: "Hui Zhang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 19:05:58 -0500

Ning,

Thanks a lot for the new input with rich information!

Here are a few comments on your document:
1. on the survey part, could we have some information on the following
two points: (a). on peer selection, what's the heuristics in different
systems that a peer will decide a reliable peer for data transfer (both
upload and download)? It's helpful to have the typical metrics,
processes, and the timing of reliable peer selection schemes on top of
which a general peer quality interface can be defined in PPSP. (b). on
content server (original streaming servers hosted by service providers
like PPlive) architecture, what are the load balancing schemes used
there? That gives the current solutions on load management of the hybrid
CDN-PPSP architecture. 

2. On "Need for P2P Streaming Protocol". Besides re-implementation
issue, I think the ALTO issue can be put as another motivation where a
PPSP contribution is on a clear API design for the future P2P streaming
providers and ISP providers to co-solve their performance/resource
efficiency problems.
In addition, the interoperability between different p2P streaming
applications on top of a common streaming protocol (the vision mentioned
by Yunfei) is another good motivation.

3. On "Why not P2PSIP?", I like your point on dynamic content
information which is precise. An additional argument is on
peer-dependent information (e.g., the delay from other peers to me a
local node)
Which has to rely on dynamic and local discovery.

Regards,

Hui

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
zongning 63316
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 1:04 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [ppsp] survey and problem statement of P2P streaming

Hi, all,
Please find the attached Survey and Problem Statement of P2P Streaming.
I hope it would be one of baseline documents for discussion during the
incoming PPSP bar BoF. Any comments and suggestions are welcome.
Thank you!

Best Regards
Ning Zong

************************************************************************
******************
 This email and its attachments contain confidential information from
HUAWEI, which is intended only for the person or entity whose address is
listed above. Any use of the information contained herein in any way
(including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure,
reproduction, or dissemination) by persons other than the intended
recipient(s) is prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please
notify the sender by phone or em
ail immediately and delete it!
 
************************************************************************
*****************
_______________________________________________
ppsp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ppsp