Subject: Re: [ppsp] ppsp charter discussion

From: Tao Ma <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 14:55:58 +0800

Hi,
   I think your revised texts are a little ambiguous.  To my understanding,
P2P streaming system has some entities, and these entities are classified
into peers and trackers considering their roles. Peer and tracker is two
abstract concepts widely used in P2P systems. If the first graph only
mentions peer or tracker, it is not clear what the PPSP stands for.  The old
texts enumerate some entities(caches, CDN nodes) , which externalize the P2P
streaming system. I think the specific description is necessary.
0.1 cent
Regards
Tao Ma
Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications, Mobile life and new
media lab

>Hi Ning,

>I agree your statement here. But I think the charter description is not as
clear as your statement here. The confusion is in the first >paragraph.
Based on your statement, PPSP WG works on standard protocols in P2P
streaming systems. P2P streaming system >has two components, peer and
tracker. This will be very clear.

>The participation entities listed in the charter is related to the
applicability of P2P streaming system, not P2P streaming system >itself.
Whether P2P streaming system provider wants to deploy the system on which
device is provider business decision. >Provider may or may not work out with
their users on content sharing. Thus, end-user device may or may not be a
peer in the >system. This is not relevant to P2P streaming system
architecture and protocols itself.

>Suggest revising the first paragraph as

>The Peer-to-Peer (P2P) Streaming Protocol working group (PPSP WG) is >chartered
to develop standard signaling protocols (called PPSP protocols) >for the
communications among P2P system components, peers or peer trackers >via both
fixed and mobile Internet.

>Consider adding third paragraph to highlight the applicability.

>Best Regards,
>Lucy

---

From: Yong Lucy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 12:02:01 -0500

Hi Tao,

To my understanding, there are two components in P2P streaming steams. It is
necessary to give a clear definition about peers and trackers. Peers are
able to perform caching, streaming sharing, chunk sharing, etc. Thus, such
system applies to caches, CDN nodes, and (maybe) end users, which drives the
reason for PPSP work.

Regards,

Lucy

  _____  

From: Tao Ma [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2009 1:56 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [ppsp] ppsp charter discussion

Hi,

>The Peer-to-Peer (P2P) Streaming Protocol working group (PPSP WG) is
>chartered to develop standard signaling protocols (called PPSP protocols)
>for the communications among P2P system components, peers or peer trackers
>via both fixed and mobile Internet.

---

From: Ning Zong <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 11:17:59 +0800

Hi, Lucy and Tao,

Thank you for your comments.

In our charter, we only consider the interface between peer and tracker, as
well as interface between peers. We need to narrow down our protocol scope.

In this sense, the entities listed in our charter would be either peers or
trackers, although some of them may have other roles in some individual
implementations.

BR,

Ning Zong

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Yong
Lucy
Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 1:02 AM
To: 'Tao Ma'; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [ppsp] ppsp charter discussion

Hi Tao,

Regards,

Lucy

  _____  

Hi,