Subject: RE: Question about "An architecture for provider provisioned CE-based Virtual Private Networks using IPSec"

From: "Cliff Wang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 14:40:50 -0400

For CE based VPN, the tunneling end point is at the CE. The PE only
provides the network access connection to CE. PE doesn't really
participate in the actual VPN.

-----Original Message-----
From: yongjoo [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, September 13, 2002 12:49 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Question about "An architecture for provider provisioned
CE-based Virtual Private Networks using IPSec"

Jeremy,  Olivier and Andrew:
I have a question on the relationship between a CE and a PE in the
context
of PP CE-based VPN.
As one of the methods to achieve an automatic mechanism for membership
discovery/distribution when a site joins a existing VPN, the ID says
that:
The SP's management system takes care of provisioning the new CE device
and
takes care of updating the other CE devices that belong to the
considered
VPN. Do we need some mechansims to select the best PE among many PEs to
connect to the CE?
If so, who is in charge of this and how?

Regards,
Yongjoo

----------------------------------------------------------------
Charlie ( Yongjoo ) Shin
Department of Computer Science
University of California, Davis CA95616
530-752-3128 (office)
----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "yongjoo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 17:24:59 -0700

Jeremy,  Olivier and Andrew:
"Using BGP as an Auto-Discovery Mechanism for Network-based VPNs" says that
in any PPVPN scheme, PE devices attached to a common VPN must exchange
certain information as a prerequisite to establish VPN-specific
connectivity.
Is the above statement still true in the context of "PP CE-based VPN"?
Thank you so much for your help in advance.

Cheers,
yongjoo
----------------------------------------------------------------
Charlie ( Yongjoo ) Shin
Department of Computer Science
University of California, Davis CA95616
530-752-3128 (office)
---------------------------------------------------------------