Subject: definition of "segment" in VPLS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 14:24:16 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I think that the definition of "segment" in
draft-ietf-ppvpn-vpls-requirements-00.txt is in conflict with the IEEE 802
specifications.

Section 4 of the internet draft states:
"VPLS emulates a flat LAN segment with learning and switching
capabilities. "

This implicitly defines "segment" as a layer 2 entity.

However, in looking at IEEE 802.3-2000, sub-clause 1.4.244

"segment: The medium connection,including connectors,between Medium
Dependent Interfaces (MDIs)in a CSMA/CD local area network."

802.1 also refers to "LAN segments" in terms of layer 1 entities
(sub-clauses 1.2, 3.7, 6.3, etc.).

Can the definition of "segment" as a layer 1 entity (per IEEE 802) be
aligned in this draft?

Thanks,
-Ben

---

From: Waldemar Augustyn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 23:07:49 -0400

Hi Ben,

There is another document:

         draft-augustyn-ppvpn-l2vpn-requirements-00.txt

which is intended to supersede the draft in question.

There, the VPLS text clarifies a number of statements and its terminology 
is better aligned with other document. In particular, the term "segment" is 
no longer used.  This, in effect, renders the issue moot.

Hope this helps