Subject: [precis] I-D Action: draft-ietf-precis-framework-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 14:12:45 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Preparation and Comparison of Internationalized Strings Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : PRECIS Framework: Handling Internationalized Strings in Protocols
	Author(s)       : Marc Blanchet
                          Peter Saint-Andre
	Filename        : draft-ietf-precis-framework-00.txt
	Pages           : 28
	Date            : 2011-08-22

   Application protocols that make use of Unicode code points in
   protocol strings need to prepare such strings in order to perform
   comparison operations (e.g., for purposes of authentication or
   authorization).  In general, this problem has been labeled the
   &quot;preparation and comparison of internationalized strings&quot; or
   &quot;PRECIS&quot;.  This document defines a framework that enables application
   protocols to prepare various classes of strings in a way that depends
   on the properties of Unicode code points.  Because this framework
   does not depend on large tables of Unicode code points as in
   stringprep (RFC 3454), it is more agile with regard to changes in the
   underlying Unicode database and thus provides improved flexibility to
   application protocols.  A specification that uses this framework
   either can directly use the base string classes defined in this
   document or can subclass the base string classes as needed.  This
   framework uses an approach similar to that of the revised
   internationalized domain names in applications (IDNA) technology (RFC
   5890, RFC 5891, RFC 5892, RFC 5893, RFC 5894) and thus adheres to the
   high-level design goals described in RFC 4690, albeit for application
   technologies other than the Domain Name System (DNS).  This document
   obsoletes RFC 3454.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-precis-framework-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-precis-framework-00.txt